1st Application Refused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Littrica, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Littrica

Littrica Newbie

Hello to all;

I spent 6 months gathering information about my Father's service history and civil documents (death and marriage certificates); crossed my 'T's and dotted my 'I's, only to have a VA representative tell me none of it now applies since my Mother remarried following the death of my Father. Luckily, I think, when she remarried it was to a WWII Veteran (he has since passed). I now have to gather new evidence and put together a totally new package. After doing so, I will need to reapply to the VA. The VA rep. was very helpful and a bit sorry about turning down my application. The thing is; I read nothing about this in all the instructions that passed before me prior. I am sure that I am not the first person this has happened to, but geeeez!

2. pattyclarke

pattyclarke Newbie

Yes daunting process, I'm still in the gathering phase myself, but I have read in various places that when your mother remarried, she must file with her last husband's information. Disappointing I know, but that's the way it is. Good luck and maybe since you've learned so much from gathering your dad's stuff that it will help with the process for your mom's second husband.

Patty

3. Littrica

Littrica Newbie

Luckily my Mother has most of her second husbands data on-hand which should make the second filing easier (to some degree). The other thing I found out is, the VA does not recognize the term "Aid and Attendance". The fellow (VA Rep.) that I was dealing with appeared to be 'put-off' by the use of the term and immediately corrected me as if to say: that term is forbidden here. I guess they have their protocols (LOL).

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

To clear up some of the confusion you experienced, this pension is available to the veteran and the "surviving spouse". If your mom remarried, then she is no longer a surviving spouse, she is now the wife of someone else. This question is one of the FAQ's on the home page of the site. http://veteranaid.org/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=3&id=14&artlang=en

The exception would be if the 2nd marriage ended before November 1, 1990.

If her second husband was indeed a WWII veteran, then as long as they were legally married at the time of his death, she would be eligible based on his service.

5. Littrica

Littrica Newbie

Thank you for the clarification and yes she was legally married to a WWII Veteran (my Step-Father) at the time of his death; hence I am pursuing benefits under his time served.