12 months prior

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by katy225, Dec 17, 2011.

1. katy225

katy225 Newbie

What an wonderful informative site this is! Wow, amazing information!

I have a question about possible entitlement to benefits 12 months prior.

Although I'm just getting ready to send my Dad's package in for the Aid and Attendance, someone informed me that after he is approved, he might be able to receive
    benefits for the prior 12 months before his approval date.

OK my question is this.........I have been caring for my Dad for almost 2 years. He is 89 and of course has multiple disabilities which hinders his ability to properly care for himself In any even, he has been paying me to provide care for him (he lives with me) for the past 2 years. I have records, cancelled checks and cash receipts dating back for those 2 years prior. I am, of course, his daughter and not a licensed caregiver. I perform the same duties as a licensed caregiver. In any event, would the care have to be by a licensed caregiver to quality him for the 12 month prior benefits?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Katy,

Glad you found us and welcome aboard!

No, you do not need to be a licensed caregiver in order for your Dad to be eligible.

There is no clear understanding how the VA decides who might be eligible for the prior 12 months, but once you get through this process and he is awarded, if they don't make the offer, you can inquire given that he was under your care for the year prior.

Good luck with the process, and be sure to take advantage of all the information here and on the site.