12 month prior benefit was denied 'cuz I screwed up...Help!

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by rjo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. rjo

rjo Newbie

My father received the Aid and Assistance benefit in Nov. 2015 and qualifies for the prior 12 months. I sent in the application indicating that his medical condition, housing situation (assisted living) and financials were the same for the previous 12 months as for the present. I thought that the initial application (which was approved) would be referred to when considering the 12 month prior benefit. So, basically I screwed up and did not attach his assisted living expenses again because they were included in the first application. Needless to say his request for 12 month prior benefit was denied due to his financials. His countable income is $0.00 after adding in the cost of assisted living and he very much qualifies for the benefit. So basically I did not send the supporting information and therefore was denied the benefit. What is the best way to appeal? Can I just reapply and send the proper documentation this time ? Or, do I have to go through the appeals process ? Any assistance helping me out would be so appreciated.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

We highly recommend to never appeal as it can drag out for years and rarely results in the answer you want. Instead, you can use Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 and add any supporting documents you have to update the VA on the situation, asking them to reconsider the denial because you did not provide the right information the first time.