What is the VA Medical Foster Home Program?

Posted in Uncategorized on November 3, 2015
Tags: , , , ,

How to Become a Home Care Provider for Veterans

For older veterans who can’t remain in their homes and who don’t want to move to a nursing home, there’s a What is the VA Medical Foster Home Program?; VeteranAid.orggrowing alternative: medical foster homes. Since 1999, an increasing number of VA hospitals around the country have reached out to homeowners in their communities, seeking people who are willing to provide live-in care for vets who need personalized care and a strong sense of community. If you or someone you care about needs help with care and wants a home setting, read on to see if VA Medical Foster Home Care might work for you.

Who’s eligible for the VA Medical Foster Home program?

Veterans who cannot safely manage their health and activities of daily living on their own may qualify for medical foster care. In order to participate, veterans must be enrolled in VA Home Based Primary Care, because those physician-managed home care services will continue in the foster home.

It’s important to know that the Medical Foster Home program is only available in areas where the local VA hospital has started a program and foster-home caregivers have been approved. There are programs at roughly half the VA’s medical centers now, and the goal is for each VA hospital to have an MFH program eventually.

Who operates the homes?

Caregivers must have some experience in providing care, and they have to be willing to be available 24/7 (with backup caregivers on call as needed). Medical needs and casework are handled by VA Home Based Primary Care workers, but meals, social time, shopping, and help with medication and activities of daily living are all handled by the homeowner-caregiver.

Caregivers include retirees, widowed seniors, couples, and families with small children. Some caregivers host more than one veteran—each local program has guidelines about how many veterans can receive foster care in one home—and they all offer vets a sense of family and community. Don't forget to look into benefit for caregivers of veterans, too.

Who coordinates placements?

Placements are coordinated through the VA, which also inspects and approves the homes and offers supplemental training for caregivers. In some places, such as Michigan, caregivers must also meet the state’s Adult Foster Home licensing requirements in order to take part in the VA MFH program. Doctors and caseworkers factor in the type of care each veteran needs and what each host family can provide when making placements.

Who pays for Medical Foster Home services?

Veterans are responsible for paying the cost of Medical Foster Home room and board directly to their caregiver. Typical rates range from $1500 to $3000 per month, and the exact figure is worked out in advance by patient and caregiver. Long-term care insurance, VA Aid & Attendance Pension benefits, and other benefit programs may help cover the cost of the Medical Foster Home program.

Contact your local VA medical center to find out if MFH is available in your area. If so, VA caseworkers can help you decide if medical foster care is a good alternative for you or someone you love.

Written by: Casey Kelly-Barton

25 Responses to “What is the VA Medical Foster Home Program?”

1. Kaylin says:

Janice,

I'm glad you asked! It looks like this page here may be of service to you. You can always call the support line listed on this page with any questions.

2. Janice Rosebud says:

I would like to know who to contact to become a VA Medical Foster Program Services to assist the veterans who need a home environment

• FREDDIE WASHINGTON says:

I live in Triangle, Va, and have enough room for 3 or more Veterans,

• Thsia Briggins says:

I'm a foster parent and I also work in home health with elderly patients. I would love to become a Medical foster caregiver. Who do I contact

3. carol says:

I'm already taking care of a vet how can I get another vet to care for

4. Kaylin says:

Carol,
    This support line may be of help to you if you want to call and ask? http://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_services.asp

5. kevin woodhull says:

I have a home for vetts already set up. I need help getting foster care program vetts in my home .
    kevin woodhull
    Home peace n Tranquilty

6. Terri says:

How do I get to be a provider? I looked on the website but did not see how?

7. Kaylin says:

Hello Terri, if you visit the VA's page here it will tell you all about the medical foster home program: http://www.va.gov/geriatrics/guide/longtermcare/medical_foster_homes.asp

8. Elaine Lane says:

would like to know more but the program

9. RAY HUGHIE says:

I am interested in becoming a medical foster care provider in Georgetown SC. I am a Registeted Nurse

10. Andrea Johnson says:

I am interested in becoming a provider in Fayetteville NC. Who do I need to contact?

11. Kaylin says:

Andrea, I would look up the VA medical foster program on the VA's website to find the best contact to reach out to near you.

12. Mary Kinney says:

I previously spoke with you about three yrs ago. My father was in the space that you said would be appropriate. He passed in July of 2016. I was a foster parent with Mentor until 2012. Foster parent of the year in 2010. I'm a retired med Lab Tech and medical assistant. I have plenty room in my home I home you will consider me I am in good health. I hope that you will consider me again for a provider. Thank you

13. Kaylin says:

Hello Mary,
    I am sorry to hear of your father's passing. Are you looking to apply to be a VA medical foster home?

14. Elonne says:

I currently operate an assisted living home in SC. I was raised in Chicago & am interested in being a provider in the Illinois area in the near future. I would like to be a provider for vets on need. The facility will be named A Heavenly Home!..so excited and ready to be a blessing to others in need!...please pass on!...I can be reached @ elonne@email.phoenix.edu or Metallicflorals@yahoo.com. Thx & be blessed!!

15. Kaylin says:

That is very noble of you, Elonne! I am sure you can find all of the resources to start a VA medical foster home or an assisted living facility that's geared towards veterans on the VA's website. If not, I'd love to research the topics more and provide them on here as articles for others who are interested.

16. Tam says:

Hey, can you tell me if Fayetteville, NC has a need for mfh?

17. Tameiko says:

Hey, do Fayetteville NC have a need?

18. Kaylin says:

Tameiko, you will have to call the VA to ask or use their website where they talk about VA medical foster homes.

19. Tamara Johnson says:

I am interested in careing for a va ,how do I go about it ,please so one tell me?

20. Mary L. Hester says:

Hey! I've been interest in caring for veterans in my rental property for a while but I have been given the run around . Please help I have a 3 bedroom home with plenty of caregivers. I have medical experience.

• Kaylin says:

Hello Mary. Please use the resources we have mentioned in our post here to help you get your home ready for use as a VA Medical Foster Home.

21. Nancy Buissereth says:

Am looking if there is anyone who can help me how to go about caring Vets.i have a four bedrooms house and i needsomeone to help in.am in orlando fl.plz help.

• Kaylin says:

Nancy, that is very kind of you to inquire about this service! Please use the resources we have provided on this page to find out how you can move forward with becoming a VA Medical Foster home.