RESOURCES FOR THE AID & ATTENDANCE PENSION
Where to Get Help
- File Yourself--you can certainly file the application yourself directly with the VA. Be sure to follow all instructions carefully and include all necessary documentation. Keep copies of all correspondence between yourself and the VA and promptly respond to all requests for information. ALWAYS send all correspondence via Return Receipt.
- You can contact your local VA office and speak with a Service Officer (SO), or contact another VA-related organization such as the VFW or the DAV, etc. There is no charge or fee associated with filing for the Aid & Attendance
Improved Pension though these organizations. However, please be aware that there is the possibility that these organizations will not be fully knowledgeable about the Aid & Attendance Pension. This statement is not aimed to denigrate
the efforts of these organizations or the people who work within them--it is simply a statement of fact that needs to be known.
If you elect to work with a local branch, keep in mind that they are not required to keep a copy of the application, nor provide you with a copy. They will not mail the application "Return Receipt", and you will have no way of verifying it was ever received by the VA.
- In most cases we urge you not to sign a 21-22 making the agency "Claimant's Representative". Local offices get credits for any application they get assigned to them. The downside to this is that YOU will not have any way to follow up on the application other than going back to them. Many times Officers retire or move to another location, and if there is no record of your application, you will be starting back over at square one, and will have lost precious time.
- Many Assisted Living Facilities will work with you if they know the resident qualifies for A&A. Fortunately, all benefits are retro-dated back to the original filing date, so be sure to ask if this option is available.
- Check our Senior Care Directory to help identify a facility who may be able to help.
- ElderBenefitsConsulting.com may be an option you want to consider exploring.
- Your state Senator and Congressperson are contacts you should consider in the event your application has not been approved by 9 months. Involving them may be the key piece in getting a determination. The VA is required to respond to a Congressional inquiry within 5 business days. You should not utilize this option until it is appropriate. Doing this in the early stages will not produce the desired results.
Bottom line--do not give up if you are told by an SO or other VA representative that the Aid & Attendance Pension does not exist or that you or your loved one is not eligible if you believe they are.
If you have a question or comment about this website, VeteranAid.org, please click here to contact us.
Department of Veterans Affairs Benefit Handbooks for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors
- 2012 Federal Benefits Handbook (PDF)
- 2012 Manual de Beneficios Federales en Español (PDF)
- 2012 Federal Benefits EBook for eReaders (iPad, iPhone, Nook, Android, etc.)
- 2012 Federal Benefits EBook for Amazon Kindle ONLY
Standard A&A Forms
- Standard Form 180
- Nursing Home Status Statement
- VA Form 21-526
- VA Form 21-534
- VA Form 21-0845 Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party.
- Aid & Attendance
- Aid & Attendance 2
- Support H.R. 4914
- Why Doesn't the VA tell Veterans about their Benefits?
- Veterans Fighting for Benefits
- Vets and Widows Miss Out on Pensions
- Periods of War Eligible for A&A
- Two Million Veterans, Widows Miss Out on VA Pensions
- VA Gives Out Wrong Information
- VA Being Investigated Over Phone Inquiries
- Possible Medical Expenses
- Widow Finally Wins Fight for Benefits
- Article in the Chesterfield Observer about VeteranAid.org
- VA Has to Retrain Employees
- Army Holds Down Disability Ratings to Save Money
- Disabled veterans may face skirmishes for some VA benefits
- New report shows that VA care is unacceptable for our Veterans
- The Frustratingly Slow Veterans Benefits Process Appears Impervious to Change
- Chief Judge Warns of Backlog and Delays in Veterans Court
- CNN Report of Personal Data Theft of over 26 Million Veterans
- VA Statement on the Theft of Veteran Personal Information
- VA FAQ on the Stolen Information
Senior Care Directory
VeteranAid.org has teamed up with A Place For Mom to bring you the most comprehensive information, advice and assistance with finding senior care.
Click Here or on the image below to start your search for the best in senior care in your area.
- Veterans Today Network - America's Premier Independent Web Portals and Sites Exclusively for U.S. Military Veterans with News, Forums, Information on the Veterans Administration, VA Home Loans, Veterans Jobs, Benefits, Shopping, and More.
- Veterans Today - America's Premier Independent Web Portal Exclusively for U.S. Military Veterans with News, Forums, Information on the Veterans Administration, VA Home Loans, Veterans Jobs, Benefits, Shopping, and More.
- Hire Veterans - America's Premier Independent Employment Job Board for U.S. Military Veterans. Former Service Personnel Jobseekers Search and Find Jobs with the best Employers in the USA and around the world.
- Deans List App for Apple and Android - Sgt. Deans created Deans List, in order to support his fellow military personnel in finding information and resources specific to their needs. Sgt. Deans deployed in 08-09 in Operation Iraqi Freedom.