VeteranAid.org Forum
September 30, 2014, 06:46:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lots of successes are being reported on the forums.  If you are running into difficulties, ask questions.  Many successes came from getting answers from people who have been through the process.

Home   Help Search Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Help Please>>>  (Read 726 times)
Kimby

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:02 AM »

My mother in law is in a assisted facility, she has Alzheimers and for the last four years hasn't progressed much( short term memory the main problem).  She had two sons and the both have passed and me and the grandkids are the only family she has left. When we realized she needed help, we couldn't move her with us, due to my husband fighting cancer and we had two small daughters.  We lost my husband and I would like to move her with us now, she is here three days a week now.   We started this aid paperwork and are sending info to them.  My question is if she lives with us will she still be eligible for the aid.  I plan on having a helper come in on the weekends to stay with her, so the girls and I have time to ourselves.  I just hate having her there and would like to keep her here with us but would like to have ss and the aid help pay for the home care.  Thanks in advance for help in this matter..Kim
vetadmin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »

Kim,

If she meets all the qualificiations, she can live with you, and pay you and the outside care agencies for her care.  She does not have to live in an ALF to be eligible for the pension.

You need to determine a fair market rate for your service and have an agreement with her.  She needs to pay you and the agency from her checking account so there is a paper trail to account for her medical expenses.

I'm sorry to hear that your family has been through so much.  I hope brighter days are ahead of you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: