VeteranAid.org Forum
November 23, 2014, 09:22:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't forget to sign up for the VeteranAid.org Newsletter for the latest information on the VA and Aid & Attendance.  Click Here to subscribe.

Home   Help Search Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA file number  (Read 25555 times)
Leigh Ann

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

This might seem like a dumb question BUT what is the VA file number? Should I already know this?
We just applied for a&a last month for my grandmother and have been worried about the VA file number.
Thanks so much as always for your help!   

Leigh Ann
celeste

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 07:47:45 PM »

I applied for my mother, the surviving spouse.  My father, the veteran, had a "file" number assigned to him way back whenever he first used VA benefits.  That is the "VA File Number" they ask for on the A & A application.  It will be the same number when you hear from them regarding your grandmother.........the veteran's file number.  My mother was a pack rat and I was able to get my hands on paperwork for Dad's VA medical benefits.
That is where I found the VA file number.
Leigh Ann

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »

Oh no! Now I am worried I already sent the application and all other documents WITHOUT the file number! What should I do and will this cause a huge delay?
AnnieN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »

Leigh Ann, I didn't have a VA file number when I applied for my Mom (she's the vet) and it wasn't a problem.  They just used her SS no. whenever they wanted to access her paperwork, until her a&A decision was made.  At that time they assigned her a VA file number.  Of course, we had not had any other interaction with the VA other than the application (and her health care but they are separate entities).  I did put her name and SS # on each page of the application to make sure they could all be identified.  Good luck to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: