VeteranAid.org Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HELP VETERANAID.ORG REACH A NATIONAL AUDIENCE.  MAKE A TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION TODAY - CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON IN THE TOP MENU.

Home   Help Search Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nursing Home vs. Assisted Living Care Qualifications  (Read 5897 times)
dappledog

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »

Thank you very much for your previous response - I downloaded the financial regs you attached and did read about the updated info re sale of the home & $$$.  I have completed the paper work for the A&A Program for my folks but have another question.  The Pension paperwork requests a statement from the "nursing home" as to the level of care.  No problem here, but in your VeteranAid info you state that "assisted living" also qualifies for A&A Pension.  I was unable to find any reference in the application paperwork for "assisted living", only "nursing home".   Does the VA make a distinction between "assisted living" care  and "nursing home" care? Thanks again
veteranadvocate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:34:50 AM »

There is no difference between ‘nursing home care’ and ‘assisted living’ except the medical expense to reduce any countable income.  Normally, ‘nursing home care’ is significantly higher.

Most people do not realize that a veteran or widow may qualify for ‘aid & attendance’ and remain at home.  The veteran or widow could have ‘home health care’ come in and this expense could be use to reduce countable income. 

The two key points are the need of some assistance and countable income.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: