Young Veteran

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lpkirby, Jan 17, 2009.

1. lpkirby

lpkirby Newbie

Hi Everyone, I am brand new to the forum. First off I cannot type or use my hands very well and I use voice recognition software so if my words appear weird ever now and then please forgive me. I am a 33 year old veteran 100% disabled with numerous injuries and I am combat rated. I am trying to gather information to see if I would qualify for A&A in order to have my wife assist me. I have severe nerve damage in both arms and amputated finger and part of my hand, Burns, Ruptured disk in my back, and an UNKNOWN Neurological Disorder due to environmental exposure (VA Wording) which has placed me in an electric wheelchair to get around. My wife had to quit her full time job and take a temporary job close to the house to help me, she misses a day or two from work. She has to help me with all my medication, 100% of all the driving due to the fact the I have severe confusion from the neurological disorder, I slip my shoes on and if they come untied she has to tie them for me. I need help with button shirts. And with my mental status rencently I cooked, and I forgot about a pot and the stove caught on fire. It was very bad….. So in your opinion do I or would I qualify for A&A? I has been so frustrated with the VA rated system I would like to try and make sure I have everything in order. I do have my good days and my bad days, I just can't find anyone who can tell me if this is the route I should go.
    Thank you

2. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

Wow, it sounds like you have a good attitude! Since you are 100% disabled if your rating doesn't already included the A&A adder, you just need to submit a physician's evaluation that shows you can not drive and you require the attendance of another person with an activity of daily living and a Statement in Support of Claim where you ask to be Medically rated A&A. There is no financial test for 100% disabled veterans. You can get those forms via the link on the home page of this site.

Also, have you filed the form 10-10EC (Extended Care) which may result in the VA picking up the cost of a Home Health Aide? Do not mail the 10-10EC in with the A&A request as they arew processed by different departments. Make sure you keep a photocopy of all coorespondance and send everything CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. So you have proof if something gets lost.

Good Luck!

3. lpkirby

lpkirby Newbie

Fit2009,
    Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "no financial test for 100% disabled veterans"? Are you saying that I do not need to worry about my VA Compensation?
    Thanks

4. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

Please see that I expounded on my previous post - husband demanding we watch Battlestar Gallactica, right now, distracted me...anyway, compensation does not count against you for A&A - when you are 100% disabled, you are going for a different award, it is a medical rating of A&A, which results in an additional amount fo compensation to you, an enhancement. You should go to the compensation tables on va.gov and see what you are receiving today and see what that award becomes if you are medically rated A&A.

I'll check back in tomorrow to see if you have a question!

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Due to the complications of this question as it encompasses far more than just A&A, a reply has been sent via off-line so as not to confuse others that this would not apply to.

6. lpkirby

lpkirby Newbie

Thank you, sorry to be difficult.

7. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Kirby,

You are not difficult. Check your messages. Have sent info that hopefully will be of some assistance.