would this be acceptable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnblagg, Aug 23, 2010.

1. johnblagg

johnblagg Newbie

I am wondering if the care taker could be paid in a lump sum annually instead of monthly or weekly?Or would the VA have a problem with that?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

John,

It is a monthly test to get in, so to be safe I would say no, although it is not specifically addressed in the regulations. This could cause a problem especially when the annual EVR had to filled out. I think the VA would have a problem with the lump sum payment, but again since it it is not addressed in the regs, no definitive answer for you on this one.

3. johnblagg

johnblagg Newbie

well In that case I think we are in a troublesome situation ....last year when we applied mom was in the madicare gap and meds cost almost as much as her ss check during that time wich is usualy 5 months of the year and we had payed a lump sum of 10,000 to the relitive that had been caring for her for the previous 8 months she was originaly caring for mom with the agreement she would get the property when mom passed .When I took over we had decided that we should wait to actually pay ourselves the money untill after aid and attendance was approved and then pay ourselfs with the retroactive for the past services and then do it monthly from then on.This would leave what money mom did have in the bank in place for any kind of emergency that arose.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with this ?

4. vetadmin

John,

You have some circumstances here that muddies the waters.

I think you should consider speaking with an Elder Law attorney or contact Patty at www.ElderBenefitsConsulting.com and get her take on how to go forward from this point. An accurate accounting is critical.

5. johnblagg

johnblagg Newbie

Thank you so much ...

I asked the vso what I needed to do when we applied but he was not much help and really did not have much to offer. I could have avoided this if I had found this site a year ago this is a truly a great service you provide.

6. KarenO

KarenO Jr. Member

When I met with the VA representative who interviewed my mother and I to see if I was an acceptable fiduciary, he authorized a payment to me once she received her retroactive for reimbursement to me for what I was out of pocket. He recommended there be a simple promissory note from my mom to me. I didn't even reimburse myself half of what was paid.

7. vetadmin

John,

Contact ElderBenefitsConsulting to see if you can get it all straight. I wish you had found us sooner, but at least you are here now. That's a good thing.

8. johnblagg

johnblagg Newbie

I have schedualed a phone consultation with them......

9. johnblagg

johnblagg Newbie

learned that to get in the program it is a monthly test and after a person is accepted into it it then goes to a yearly test....

THis means we are good according to the consultation with the elderlaw person and just have to show a total for the year in Jan of 2011 for all medical expenses and it does not have to be a monthly billing to my understanding