Wife of Veteran dies while waiting for A & A

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by kimmyk, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kimmyk

kimmyk Newbie

Hello.....I am sorry to say that my dear mom has passed away on October 15, 2011. I had sent in the Intent to Claim form on September 6, 2011. After gathering all of the paperwork and visiting the VA Regional Center in Detroit, MI, I finally was ready to mail the completed package. I did everything I was suppose to do according to this site (and thanks to all of you for your help) and the VA rep. I mailed it return receipt on October 10, 2011. I am now wondering what I need to do to let the VA know that my mom has passed away. Is there a form I need to fill out or do I contact the VA center? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks so much for all of the help here.
    Kimmyk

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Kim,

So sorry for your loss and how difficult a time this has to be for you and your family.

You can wait until you get notification from the VA on receipt of the application, and simply respond letting them know they do not need to process the claim.

Again, our sympathies to you and your family.

3. kimmyk

kimmyk Newbie

Thank you for your condolences. In all of my grief I forgot to tell you that the veteran is my father who is still with us. He is 87 yrs old and has many health issues. He stills lives at home and I, myself, plus caregivers, help with his care. I believe there is a form I must fill out to notify the VA of my mothers passing because at the time she was included in the paperwork. Thanks so much for all of the help I have received here. You do an amazing job of helping people.

Kim

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can do a 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, letting the VA know that your mom has passed and that the application should be considered for just the veteran, and not veteran with spouse.

I am assuming that your original application was for both of them. If that is not true, let me know.