Which form do I use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C. Garringer, Oct 17, 2011.

1. C. Garringer

C. Garringer Newbie

My Husband has been placed in a nursing home with Alzheimer's and is mentally incapacitated. He is 100% disabled and unemployable per the VA. I would like to apply for the Aid and Assistance compensation. I have power of attorney for my husband. Which form should I use to apply for A&A?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

If he is rated at 100%, then you simply fill out a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim stating that he is now in need of Aid and Attendance. Get a Statement of Occupancy from the ALF to include with it.

Keep in mind the VA does not recoginize POA.

3. C. Garringer

C. Garringer Newbie

What is ALF? What is a Statement of Occupancy? I'm reallt green about all this.

4. vetadmin

ALF = Assisted Living Facility. They have a form that states an individual is a resident, the amount they pay, and the services provided.

5. passportbea

passportbea Newbie

I am also looking for the right form that I need to use for the Aid the Attendance benefit for my Father. He just moved into Independent Living. Any tips will help. Thank you so much for this forum!

6. vetadmin

Independent Living if a very tricky situation. Independent means not "dependent". Most times you CANNOT claim the rent as a medical deduction. They do not have medical responders, and no one is dosing his meds. You need to be careful here. I would hate to see you down the road have the VA come back and say he owes all the money back as the facilitiy and services he receives does not quailfy for this pension.

21-526 is the form for a Veteran.

7. passportbea

passportbea Newbie

I probably did not give you enough information. He moved into an Assisted/Independent Living Facility (Cypress Place Senior Living, Ventura, CA). He is disabled due to two knee replacement surgeries and has symptoms with memory loss, dizzyness, and has had mini strokes which landed him in the hospital. This facility does have 24/7 medical staff. I have been to an Aid and Attendance Seminar and we had the impression that his case would be eligible but the one thing that he needed to show (to qualify) was that he had at least one disability he needed help with. The Instructor said if we could show that we were paying someone to help him with his meds then that would help us in getting this benefit since he is able to do everything else on his own. Now I am a bit discouraged...can you help me out?

8. vetadmin

Are this dispersing his medications? Do they provide any other assistance to him?

You say he can do everything himself.
    For those who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in eating, bathing, dressing, undressing, medication dosing, or taking care of the needs of nature.

If he has dizziness issues and memory loss, why don't you have him on the Assisted side of the facility where he would have more services and not have to deal with the VA's defintion of needing assistance for day-to-day living? The assisted side would not be questioned as to the rent being an allowable expense.