When & How To Update after home sale?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ECS, May 24, 2013.

1. ECS

ECS Newbie

Filed "Intent to File" in September 2012 and Filed application in January 2013. Update call today reveals it's "in developmental stage" which "is the first of three phases" and "average process time is 12 months or longer for Philidelphia."

House went on market this month and sold in four days. Mom will net $310,000 so assume will not qualify. I understand that if she qualifies, she should be eligible to receive back payments for September through time of house sale.

Question: When is appropriate time to file update and how to do this? Should I wait until it's processed and done, and then update about the house sale, or should I do so now?

Thanks, as always.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, not the best news for you on this. You have 30 days after the sale of the home to notify the VA – and don't count on the VA awarding the funds for the months she would have been entitled. Sorry!

3. ECS

ECS Newbie

Thanks.

On another post you thought they would pay for those months http://www.veteranaid.org/forums/index.php/topic,2392.0.html).

So I guess it's a crap shoot.

What the process for updating them, is there a form or do I just write a letter and reference the file number?

Thanks again.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Use VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim.

The VA keeps changing its mind. Some have gotten the award for the months they would have qualified, but of late that has not been the case.