What is the 'full $ amount' a widowed spouse..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MJ, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MJ

MJ 85 year old mother is surviving spouse of veteran

applying for pension, A&A, and is Housebound can expect to receive?
    She has no assets (only her home), only Social Security as income, and after medical expenses she is in a negative cash position having to make draws on an equity line on the house to meet her bills. She lives at her home with home health care coming in costing her about $600 a month. She needs them more than 2 times per week which is all she is getting now. We kids are filling in as much as as we can with assisting her on a daily basis. She cannot drive can hardly walk, cannot bathe or fix her own meals.
    After going to the site: www.vba.va.gov, I compute for her as follows:
    My dad (the deceased veteran) was an E-4
    The table on this site shows for surviving spouse (if vet's death was before 1-1-93):
    $1154.00
    +286.00 if entitled to A&A
    +135.00 if entitled to Housebound
    This totals $1575.00
    Is this anywhere close to accurate?
    I have called the VA 10-23-09 and am told her application is in 'authorization' and that a letter within 10 days is forthcoming. The person I spoke with could not tell me anything other than that. I wonder if the letter will detail her benefit amount?
    Does anyone have any insight on this?
    Thanks!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

MJ,

$1055.00 a month is the highest award for a surviving spouse.

3. MJ

Re: Debbie.. is that the pension + A&A + Housebound??

the table found on that link in the other post led me to come up to the numbers I got... what am I doing wrong?

4. vetadmin

MJ,

I am not sure what "table" you are talking about. Is this something you saw in a posting, or something you found on our site?

5. MJ

Re: I think I see the problem... this table is for if the veteran was already

receiving a pension!.... what an education you get going through all this!

After going to the site: www.vba.va.gov, I compute for her as follows:
    My dad (the deceased veteran) was an E-4
    The table on this site shows for surviving spouse (if vet's death was before 1-1-93):
    $1154.00
    +286.00 if entitled to A&A
    +135.00 if entitled to Housebound
    This totals $1575.00

6. vetadmin

Oh it's an education alright! Hope you now have your answer. We don't carry that information on our site as it goes to other issues and as you know by now, this is a very confusing process. We try to keep it simple around here as much as possilbe.

7. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

You are looking at the DIC table - meaning your father died of his service connected injuries. Unfortunately, you can only have housebound or A&A added, not both.

8. kayellen

kayellen Newbie

The $1,055. is the correct figure for Aid & Attendance. You have to look at each of them separately. Don't combine them. Been there done that. The best thing you can do is start by reading all the information of the Veteranaid.org Guidance site.

9. MJ

thanks for all the input here on my question... we have since received the award letter stating that she will receive $1056.00 per month. the letter also explains how they computed her award- very helpful.

10. vetadmin

MJ,

Great news, and glad that we could be of assistance. Be sure to keep detailed records of all expenses as you will need them for the annual EVR the VA will send out to verify she still qualifies for the pension.

Please share the site with others you know and help spread the word about A&A.