What is average time VA processes A&A

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by Janie, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Janie

Janie Newbie

Debbie,

Do you have an idea what the average time is now from the time the VA receives the application for A&A to the time they award results? thank you

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

So many variables, but you should expect 6 months + if no issues with the application. Some people are reporting 4 months, but that is not the majority.....sorry.

3. Janie

Janie Newbie

Is there anything else I can do to speed the process? (i.e., call my congressman and get him involved, submit checking account statement showing it dropping lower?, me calling the VA?). October 4th was when the preliminary one page went in and the entire application with attachments the end of October. Thank you.

4. vetadmin

Janie,

I am sorry to say that enough time has not passed that would make it appropriate for you to ask your congressman to get involved. That is when several months have passed without a decision.

Depending on the circumstances, if there is an extreme financial hardship on the family or the applicant and advanced age, you can write a letter to the VA asking for expedition on the claim based on those two factors. That is not a guarentee that it will get processed sooner, but you can make your case for considerations.

I'm sorry this is not the answer you are looking for.

5. Janie

Janie Newbie

Good morning,

Just wanted to let all know about time to process. I called the VA in regard to my mom's claim. They said there are 3 steps to the process. Step 1 takes 102-139 days (that's the development dept). Step 2 is 16-27 days (that's the rating department) and the last Step 3 to actually recieve is 10-40 days.

Debbie,

I faxed a Statement in Support of Claim along with VCAA Notice Response. Receive a letter about 10 days later stating they were still processing the application. It's been about 60 days from the date we filed from the date of first letter from the date of the last letter.

Hope the informaton about the 3 steps helps all.

Best to you,
    Janie

6. vetadmin

Janie,

Thanks for sharing this here. These are some basic timelines. We have seen much quicker processing and much longer.

7. Max

Max Hero Member

Almost all original applications are decided within 125 days at this point. If the application is submitted complete and simply (i.e. without tons of conflicting documents like bank statements and receipts), it should be done within 2-3 months for original claims for veterans.

8. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Newbie

I'm curious, what state is this time frame in?
    my VA reps here in Texas, and I have talked to them in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and Waco, all tell me at least a year to process ?????
    Am I wrong, I have been waiting for a year as of today, and still nothing from the VA except occasional letters that state "We are still working on your claim"

I know this is an old topic, but it caught my eye as a place to start posting, I still need to read here a bit longer before I post my story, to make sure it hasn't already been answered, Thanx for your forums :)

9. vetadmin

That post was from a VA employee who works in the MN processing center. That timeframe has not been recognized by very many, and would not put money on it.

Welcome to the forums.

10. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Newbie

Yes I assumed by the Nick "VSR" to be Vet Service Rep, that's why I had to ask :)

Thanx for the welcome VetAdmin ;)