What does "Claim is in final stages" mean time wise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevem, Sep 13, 2011.

1. stevem

stevem Newbie

I filed a claim in March for my mother and had 2 form letters sent saying they were working on the case but due to heavy workload it would be a while longer.... Last one was July 15, 2011. I finally called today and got in touch with someone who because I hadn't filled out a Form 21-0845 Authorization to Disclose to a Third Party couldn't tell me anything specific other than it was in the final stage and I would hear something soon. Does this mean days, weeks?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Steven,

With the VA there is no "set" timeline. On average, this means you should get a response in the next 30 days. If you don't, you need to call them again.

Once you get the decision letter, you need to send in a 21-0845 making you an Approved 3rd Party for any future issues or questions.

3. stevem

stevem Newbie

Thank you for your response. She told me to file the 21-0845 now and FAX it so they could let me know further info. She said after they get the FAX it takes around 48 hours to show up on their system. She did say everything was in order and I should hear something soon. She was much more cheerful and helpful which made the experience a bit more tolerable.

4. vetadmin

Glad you got someone who would give you a fax # so you can handle it now! That's even better.

5. stevem

stevem Newbie

Once approved, do they send the retro paynment at the same time as the 1st monthly check? I shouldn't need a fudiciary since my mother is able to function faily well.

6. vetadmin

Is it noted on your mom's physical evaluation that she has the beginnings of dementia or any other mental frailty?

If not, then you should not have to worry about the Fiduciary process, and they would make a direct deposit for the previous months, and start the pension on the following month.

7. stevem

stevem Newbie

Nothing noted about dementia so I think we may be ok. Thanks for this site, I only wish I saw it BEFORE I started this journey....

8. vetadmin

You should be good to go, and I guess better late than never would apply here.