What do I do now that Dad has died?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by annecira, Nov 3, 2013.

1. annecira

annecira Newbie

Dad was receiving A&A benefits since last year (thanks in no small part to the advice I received from this website); he has just passed away. He was approved for NJ Medicaid as of September 1, 2013. Does anyone know if the A&A payment from the VA direct deposited into his bank account on 11/1/13 becomes part of his estate, or will it have to go back? I have been told that Social Security will automatically withdraw his SS payment, but I don't know about the VA. I don't want to have a Medicaid conflict...Thank you.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

We are so sorry for your loss and this difficult time for your family.

Normally the VA is 30 days behind, so the Nov 1st payment should be in actuality his Oct payment. If he passed in Nov and not Oct. you should be able to keep it.

Again our condolences, and I'm grateful to know that we played a part in helping you to get this benefit for your Dad.

3. annecira

annecira Newbie

Thank you for your kind wishes and prompt reply. He actually passed on October 29, so I guess the 11/1 payment will have to go back. Do you know if VA automatically retrieves it as Social Security does, or will I need to send a check?

4. vetadmin

You are welcome, but I would suggest holding on to the money for a few months to see if you get the request. Not sure if they will try to cancel the payment or send a letter. You could also call the VA to get clarification on the funds and how they suggest you handle it.

5. annecira

annecira Newbie

Have not had a lot of luck in calling the VA (nor has anyone else, judging from what I read on your forum!), but that might be the best way...I just don't want Medicaid to grab the money, and then find out it has to go back, that would be the last straw! Thanks!

6. vetadmin

Totally understand. Usually calling later in the day, mid week can be helpful.