We may need to stop my mom's application is that doable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pearlit, Mar 6, 2012.

1. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

We may need to stop my mom's application is that doable? The amount she may receive could put her over Medicaid eligibility. The assisted living facility she is in is willing to give her a Medicaid room but she needs to stay under the $2002 limit per month.
    The application has been in process since October so who knows where it is in the system. I wish I knew how much the payment would be so we can make an informed decision.
    The questions are.
    1. Can we retract the application or is it too late?
    2. Can we refuse the assistance.
    3. Can we request a lower amount of assistance?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Vet Rep

Vet Rep Newbie

Hello pearlit, the amount of money your mother may be entitled to can be calculated. The maximum she can get as a widow of a veteran is $1094, I would be able to answer more if you want to just send a question to me at jlock@co.kern.ca.us

3. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I was able to find out from the VA that the maximum amount of Aid she would get is around $13,000. That would only be if her medical expenses exceeded her income. If she gets $13000 from SS and her medical expenses are only $1000 then her A&A would only cover the $1000.
    Is that correct? By medical expenses they mean doctor copays and RXs not her rent at assisted living.
    I also found out she can retract the application by written notice or by calling in.

4. vbcoder

vbcoder Jr. Member

Medical expenses includes the total cost of the assisted living facility.Get a statement of occupancy from the ALF indicating the services they provide as well as the cost.

5. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

My mom does not get actual Assistance with Daily Living (ADL). They provide meals, her room, and housekeeping only. Would her monthly payment there be deducted from her Social Security Income in that case? We are looking to keep her income with the A&A added under the Medicaid eligibility amount.

6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Is she in an "independent living" property or a full assisted living facility?

7. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

Assisted Living is what it is called. All meals are made by the facility. She has no aid other than housekeeping. She does her own laundry and has no assistance with bathing or dressing.

8. vetadmin

They may be calling it Assisted Living, but from the services being provided, it is more an "Independent" property. That is going to be the issue for you as she is not going to be able to claim the rent at this facility as they are not providing "services" intended for someone who needs assistance with day-to-day living.

Can I ask what the name if of the property she is at?

9. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

The Plaza at Mill Pond in Park Ridge, NJ
    They do offer assistance with ADLs but that is an extra fee beyond the rent.

10. vetadmin

It's doubtful she would be awarded the pension based on this property since they are not providing any ADL and if you are not paying for someone outside to come in, there is no medical expense here to claim, and her rent won't be allowable.

If you can get that Medicaid bed, it would be your best bet.

11. pearlit

pearlit Newbie

That's what we think which is actually good news. Our main concern was that she would max out of Medicaid with the A & A and would lose any chance of staying there as it would not be enough for her rent.
    Thanks you for all your help!
    Enjoy your day! :)

12. JWalker

JWalker Newbie

I don't think A&A is included in income calculations for Medicaid purposes. I could be wrong, but it would be worth discussing with your caseworker.