Veterans Service Officer/Representative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpappas755, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jpappas755

jpappas755 Newbie

A general question please....

Is it necessary and or required to enlist a veterns service officer (VSO) or representative to assist with the completion of an A & A claim?

I recently completed a 21-526 for my father with all the attendant supporting documents (VA medical form, physicians letters, ALF monthly charges/receipts & the dreaded 21-22a). I received a letter back from the VA acknowledging receipt of the claim.

In additon to stating they had received the paperwork, they also lamented that "we are sorry and very backloged" they also pointed out that my dad had no VSO representative.

So what? is it really necessary?

As an editorial comment too, from a physician with 30 years of experience in EDs , Internal Medicine, and claims adjudication, it is NEVER accepatable to state that are you are "just too busy". Compliance laws are required to force the VA to process A & A claims. The usual standard is one month for claims processing.

Thanks for listening!

JP
    Denver

2. magnumpi28

magnumpi28 Jr. Member

Is it necessary and or required to enlist a veterns service officer (VSO) or representative to assist with the completion of an A & A claim?

No. You can do it all yourself. As far as a month to process the claim, Heck, I wouldnt be suprised if it took them a month just to open the letter! They are sloooowwwwww as a turtle!!!!

Good Luck and be very patient!

3. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

Be glad you got and acknowledgement. I submitted my Dad's claim back in October, and I can't even get an acknowledgemetn out of them, even though I have a receipt from the Post Office with the signatrure of the person who accepted the package.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

No, it is not necessary to utizlize a VSO for completing this application. You can complete it on your own, submit it with Form 21-22a making yourself or other family member the "Claimant's Reprsentative" and send it Registered Receipt to the appropriate processing center that handles claims for the state you are filing in.

VSOs get credit/brownie points for any application they get assigned to them. If you read the various postings here, you will see that using a VSO limits your ability to inquire or follow up on the claim.