Veteran going on Medicaid and spouse is in assisted living

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Jeniferjmeyer, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

:'( my father (veteran) and mother have been on the A&A benefit for 5 years and live in an assisted living facility. Dad is on hospice now with last stages of Alzheimer's. Mom has essential tremor, can barely eat, nor due daily activities. Moving my father on March 12, 2016 to skilled nursing, then applying for Medicaid. We utilize the benefit for payment to assisted licving. Expenses are more than their income, of course. Wil. We only have $90 a month? Or will they look at my mothers condition? When my father dies, do I have to apply for my mother again. I just can't find the answers. They reside in Indiana. I applied with him as married with spouse. Thank you for any help!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Jeniferjmeyer,

I am so sorry to hear of your parents' situation. I am glad they have been able to use the Aid and Attendance benefit to help them pay for care and make them more comfortable at this time in their lives. You would not have to reapply for your mother if your father passes away. You would simply have to use Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 to update the VA on your father passing and your mother being the single person needing the benefit now.

If you apply for Medicaid and are accepted, unfortunately the A&A benefit would be reduced to $90 a month that is meant to be spent on personal care items only.

3. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

Thank you.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The VA will adjust the award if Dad goes on Medicaid, and allow for the spouse who remains in facility care and who is not going on Medicaid.

As Kaylin stated, if Dad passes, you will need to make a new application for Mom as the surviving spouse using VA form 21-534.

I would suggest gathering all those necessary papers, and be in a position to submit that application at the appropriate time. Hopefully you or another family member kept a copy of the original application with the Discharge papers, and marriage license.

I'm glad to know that your parents have been able to benefit from the A&A pension, and sorry that Dad's situation has caused this necessary change.

5. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

I called VA and they told me that the money will be $90 even though I applied for veteran and spouse and submitted all their medical etc. mom will have to move as there will be no funds.

6. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

please help if you can!

Really need to make sure that my mom will no longer receive benefits. My dad goes on Medicaid and $2120 is reduced to $90? My mom who is ill, doesn't have funds and is in assisted living due to physical disabilities will stop receiving funds? Also, I was told that when my dad passes, my mom will only receive $300/month? What happened to surviving spouse benefit of over $1000/month. I applied for my father as veteran with spouse and they have had this benefit for over 5 years. Just want to make sure this is correct. The VA told me the Monday. Limited funds that will last my mother 10 more months. Then, she will have to go to a nursing home due to no income.

7. vetadmin

Jeniferjmeyer,

All you need to do is to send in a 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim letting the VA know that Dad has moved and is now in Hospice care at whatever facility that may be if not still in the same one.

You would state that Mom (spouse) is still in the ALF.

Mom gets the full award, and Dad will get zero for however much time is left before he passes.

When he does pass, you will need to immediately send in the new application for Mom with a certified copy of the Death Certificate.

Highly recommend that you have the form as completed as possible along with the supporting documents of Discharge and Marriage license. so that the only thing you will need is the Death Certificate and a Statement of Occupancy from the facility showing her new rate.

8. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

Thank you so much. This will help my mom! Most appreciated!

9. vetadmin

You're welcome!

10. Jeniferjmeyer

Jeniferjmeyer Newbie

Do you know possibly what the benefit will be? Is it half ?

11. vetadmin

Jeniferjmeyer,

If you are asking what Mom's rate would be as the widow, the max award is $1130.00.