VA wants to start fiduciary appointment process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VetsKid, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

Got a call from the field examiner today. We have an appointment for the day after Labor Day. Hopefully that will be the final step in getting the fiduciary appointment.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Here's hoping!

3. VetsKid

VetsKid Newbie

We're still waiting on a final determination. I have submitted all the paperwork and documentation. Moms status on E-benefits still says "predetermination" and it states it will be in the same phase (Claim Received and Appeal Possible) until Sept/Oct. IF by chance the VA wants to force the fiduciary process, we have requested that her benefits not be interrupted, if the fiduciary is appointed will she continue to receive her benefit and will it just be a smooth transfer? Is there a specific process involved?

4. Max

Max Hero Member

The monthly benefit will continue no matter what. Retroactive pay will be withheld until a fiduciary is assigned if necessary.

5. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

Dad and I met with the field examiner last week and she told me that I was all set. Just waiting for the paper work now so I can open the custodial bank account. progress. . .

6. vetadmin

Glad to hear you got through it all, and hopefully you will be all set here shortly.

7. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

Another Update. I got the papers appointing me as fiduciary and set up the custodial bank account and I faxed in the information to change the direct deposit for his monthly benefit. Yesterday I received a check for the full amount of the back award owed to my father. I was very surprised at the last as I thought it would be transmitted via direct deposit. The field examiner that met with us a few weeks ago was a fireball and she said the paperwork for the appointment would be completed that day (it was) and the check would be mailed within two weeks (it was). That's the thing about the VA. You deal with so many people who can't really do anything, but when you finally get to someone who can. WOW!

8. vetadmin

Well CONGRATULATIONS!!

Great news, so happy for you, and thanks for sharing with everyone!

9. VetsKid

VetsKid Newbie

Wow! I checked my moms bank account this morning and there was all her back monies!
    We did it right! Thank you for the support and encouragement.
    The letters from her doctor and speech therapist stating that her circumstances had changed and she was competent.

My advise to others that are also dealing with competency issues are know if your loved one is competent or if they're really dealing with medication issue. Medications do in fact interfere with competency. If your loved one is on a medication that can interfere with competency, have the doctor note it and get the medical reference to document to present as part of your evidence.

VSR, thank you! You're right on!
    Vetadmin, May this site continue to help many for years to come! Thanks.

10. vetadmin

Congratulations are in order!!

Great news, and so happy that it all got worked out for you and your Mom. She is lucky to have you to have fought this fight for you!