VA to stop annual EVR report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vetadmin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

2. stonewick

stonewick Newbie

Great News!! it is so great that you keep everyone so informed and up to date. The world is a better place for having you help so MANY people.. May your Holidays be filled with joy and wishing you the very best. You ROCK!!
  3. vetadmin

Thank you for appreciating the work I do.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Holiday Season!
  4. Max

Max Hero Member

I'll post once we know more details about the replacement program. We know it is going to be through the IRS and SSA, but not a lot of details.
  5. EltonNoway

EltonNoway Newbie

Hmmm... the sceptic in me sees this as Good news, Bad News. While I welcome like the idea that we won't have to go through the hassle of completing the annual EVR report... the IRS and the SSA are two of the most complicated and bureaucratic organizations in the government.

My concern is, for several years now, we have been getting the Aid & Attendance benefit for my father with no problem. However, he has no income other than Social Security. The total annual SS amount he receives falls "below" the minimum amount required to file with taxes the IRS. Since he hasn't paid taxes in years I'm afraid IRS won't tie out with the SSA under this "new EVR review/renewal process" and his annual renewal will get shoved to the side pending IRS review. :-[ I sure hope I'm wrong... but knowing the IRS doesn't provide me with much of a comfort level. I also shudder to think of the growing pains associated with the government trying to implement a new program. (i.e., new hires not familiar with the program ... the new processes unanswered questions , etc. .)

I know its been less than a month since the announcement but has anybody heard of any additional information? I was getting ready to submit the EVR paperwork when I found the announcement. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and submit as usual or wait and see what happens.
  6. vetadmin

We all have concerns here, and a lot of it involves those less than honorable individuals who restructure assets. This will give them another lane to run in with the hope they don't get caught.

Our understanding is this is effective immediatley, and unless you received notice from the VA asking for the EVR information and report to be completed, I would not send it.
  7. EltonNoway

EltonNoway Newbie

THANKS for the quick response!

In the meantime... I called the 800 number found in my files for last years EVR submission and the recording has been updated to more or less say the same thing... (i.e. no need to complete the EVR.) I also contacted the organization that originally helped me get my Dads Aid & Attendance pushed through the process (beaconhealthquote).
    Like the rest of us, they said this was new news and they only heard about it after the holidays, but they are excited with the prospect and hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds. They are in the early stages of contacting the lists of veterans who they've helped enroll in the program to inform them of the EVR change, but at this time they have no additional information on what, if anything will be required for veterans who are already receiving the benefit.

That said... they are in agreement with your advice... don't send anything in unless we get a formal request. So... I'll just sit back and wait (and hope for smooth sailing).
    If we run into any problems or roadblocks I'll be sure to keep in the loop.

Thanks again! I'm sure glad I discovered this forum, TONS of useful information. Speaking for us veterans... I appreciate this forum, your professionalism and dedication!
  8. vetadmin

Thank you for your kind words regarding my efforts, and for sharing what you were able to confirm.

I appreciate you coming to share any new insights or information that can prove to be helpful to everyone else here.

Happy New Year!
  9. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

One concern I have with this approach is that the IRS and SS only have a partial picture of the recipient's finances. The IRS & SS would have fairly accurate income information, but they wouldn't necessarily have complete information on a recipient's qualified medical expenses for purposes of the VA benefit. That incomplete picture could lead the VA to terminate or reduce recipients' benefits incorrectly, resulting in more complaints and rework of cases to take into account information not reflected in SS & IRS records.

And, as others have pointed out, the IRS & SS are terribly mismanaged agencies themselves. Keep the VA in the process, and our veterans will now have three inefficient agencies to slog through to get this benefit.
  10. suse

suse Jr. Member

It is a scary thought but on the plus side do you think the approval process will be expedited considerably with the EVR no longer being processed.

11. vetadmin

I think there are going to be some challenges with the removal of the EVR. My advice would be to continue keeping excellent records, receipts etc, so than in the event the IRS, SS leave a "gap" in the bigger picture, you will have the data to submit a Statment in Support of Claim to refute any reductions based on reports from the other agencies.

Suse- I would not hold my breath on that thought, but one can always hope.
  12. Gentle Ben

Gentle Ben Newbie

Even after filling out all forms and documentation to the letter we still waited 11 months for processing. Last week we were happy to be informed that VA finally did award us the A & A/Death pension. However I do have a question now that the Eligibility Verification Report (EVR) has been discontinued. Is there not still a reconciliation that must occur after a year of benefits? I know the VA has to see that our expenses reconcile with the benefit amount they are paying. In my application filed in March of last year I had to project costs for this year and now the expenses may be less than we projected. VA just paid retroactive back to April 2012 based on these projections. However, we may fall short of the projected expenses—meaning overpayment. How do we handle that? Do we reconcile on the anniversary date of the application submitted or the end of 2013? I thought I might get an answer quicker here.
  13. detaildevil

detaildevil Newbie

Is there any update on the process for reimbursement of past medical expenses (non-recurring)?

Thanks for your help.
  14. magnumpi28

magnumpi28 Jr. Member

I filled out an EVR in January because we only have a partial award and we had some unplanned medical expenses that we are trying to get reambursed. Still havent recieved a check from the VA(or any reply) like i have in years gone by. Should i do anything or just give it more time?
    PS. It is my understanding that an EVR is not required however you can still fill out one if you need to get reambursed?
  15. vetadmin

Just start the process of calling and making inquires on it?
  16. magnumpi28

magnumpi28 Jr. Member

Hi Debbie,
    Fyi...It appears the VA is backlogged. I contacted the VA and this is the response i got from the VA:

Our records indicate that we received your medical expense report on January 22, 2013, and a claim was opened on this date to review this information and make any necessary adjustments to your current survivor benefits if warranted.

Your claim is currently in the Development Phase of processing. This phase is where we gather all the evidence we need in order to make a decision on your claim. We will review your claim and inform you of any additional information that is needed.

Currently, claims at the St. Paul Pension Management Center are taking about 8 months to complete. Please understand that these time frames are only averages, and that your claim may take longer based upon the specifics of your claim and VA’s pending workload.

We apologize for the length of time it is taking to process your claim; however, we are currently experiencing a backlog of claims and are working to get them decided as quickly as possible.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.
  17. vetadmin

This is all a big joke, and it's always one excuse after another!
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Thanks to all who serve and help.

That's the truth, all! :p
  19. memm12

memm12 Newbie

A and A question

Can anybody tell me if there is assistance available for non-wartime veteran's spouse with assisted living facilities due to Alzheimers?
    Please help!
  20. vetadmin

I am sorry to say that I am unaware of any such pension or benefit that would cover these charges.

It may be worth checking with the Alzheimer's Association for any resources they may be able to refer you to.

Wish that we could help, and hope something will come through for you.