VA Form 21-0779 Request for Nursing Home Information in Connection With Claim for A&A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Honor First, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Honor First

Honor First Newbie

The attorney filed the A&A application for my brother, within a few weeks we received a VA File number. Today, while visiting with my brother at the senior care living facility, the employee at the front desk gave us another letter from the VA.

The letter requested, among other things, a form be filled out by the senior care facility management (VA Form 21-0779). I believe I previously gave the form to the senior care facility, and rather than filling out and signing the form, they gave me a letter. The letter was informing the VA as to the services they provide to my brother.

I think they didn't fill out the VA form because they aren't licensed as a "nursing home." I thought the letter said enough to make it clear that my brother lives in a protected facility, with meals, laundry, and light cleaning of his room supplied.

What should we do? My brother is in the facility due to his mental illness, which prevents him from doing responsible grocery shopping, cooking, and driving himself. The facility provides all of these daily needs, plus dispenses his numerous prescriptions.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Your brother does not have to live in a nursing home to be qualified to receive the benefit. On the 21-0779 form, simply ask the facility to cross out all instances of "nursing home" and write ALF (assisted living facility) above. This is what we always recommend people do on that form and it works to get people approved for the benefit.

Best of luck on your application process!

3. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

The VA may not count that facility as the facility needs to supply medical care in order to be counted (at least that's what Milwaukee tells me all the time) but stranger things have happened so hopefully it all works out for you.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Very good point @Matt375. I didn't think to ask if this was an assisted living facility or more of an independent living facility or retirement home, @Honor First. Do you know? Because your brother has to be receiving help with activities of daily living in order to qualify for the benefit. Like eating, dressing, bathing, medication management, etc. At least one of those activities of daily living.

Honor First likes this.
  5. Honor First

Honor First Newbie

The facility where my brother resides calls itself a "senior care" facility. They provide 3 meals per day. My brother is totally incapable of responsibly shopping for groceries, and in preparing meals. For just one example, as a part of his mental illness, he craves sugary junk food. The facility takes him shopping once per week, and I limit the money to $10.00 per trip. Last week he bought a container of ice cream that was a total 1 gal.& 1 pint. He made the purchase on a Friday afternoon, and by 11 A.M. Sunday, when I went for a visit, almost all of the ice cream was consumed.

It is difficult, to say the least, to get my brother to understand what is good and bad when it comes to food/amounts. After a recent bout with diarrhea I finally got him to quit buying multiple litres of Cokeacola. He would drink two litres in a couple of days. I have since been able to get him to buy Gatorade G2, which is much lower in sugar, and not a diuretic.

Because of his 20 plus prescribed medications, including an injectable pshycotropic, he has difficulty in staying focused on simple tasks. He has a severe lack of dexterity, and is unable to put a fitted sheet on his mattress. Fortunately the staff will often help him make the bed.

I might be mistaken, but I thought a diagnosis of mental illness was equal to the two out of five basic things they need help with in daily living?

I submitted a question to the VA via email about the nursing home form VA Form 21-0779, and they responded. The response requested that I file VA Form 21-0845 "Authorization to Disclose Personal Information." I guess Frick doesn't comminicate with Frack at the VA, because that form was filed on May 9, 2017 by my brother's lawyer, along with the original application for A&A.

The VA has been directly sending correspondence to the senior care facility, even though he has an attorney, and the 0845 designating me as "Third Party" able to receive all relevant VA information related to his application.

Most recently, the VA requested, in addition to the "Nursing Home" form, they wanted all of the financial information related to doctor copays, prescription drug expenses, and eyeglasses. I worked for many hours documenting those financials, and the lawyer submitted them on May 9, 2017. I guess VA lost those documents?

Very frustrating process!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Ugh, the VA strikes again with their confusion and disorganization.

I would suggest giving the VA whatever they are asking for - even if you have sent in the information before. This is why we always tell someone before submitting application paperwork to keep a complete copy for themselves. If the VA received the 21-0845 then you should be able to communicate with them on your brother's application. Did you send the application return receipt requested? To make sure they got it?

7. J. Martinez

J. Martinez Newbie

I have a question. We are looking to put my mom in a nursing home within a few weeks. One of the ladies at the nursing home told me that if my mom receives A&A benefits that she can never, ever qualify for Medicaid. Is that true? The nursing facility we are looking into is not a private pay home, she cannot afford that and she must receive Medicaid benefits to be able to be admitted there. I have filed for A&A benefits for her recently and received a letter stating that they have received the paperwork. What do we do if the A&A benefits are awarded? We certainly do not want the benefits to disqualify her for Medicaid.

8. Honor First

Honor First Newbie

I got a lawyer to file through the ez submission.

I know they received the basic application, because they gave my brother a BA for number, but for some reason the 0845 form was never acknowledged or the lawyer's representation form?

The VA has been mailing stuff direct to my brothers senior care facility.

I tried establishing an electronic account for my brother, but that didn't work out?

Kaylin likes this.
  9. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

@ J. Martinez Being awarded A&A does not disqualify you from Medicaid benefits. If Medicaid would be approved the VA pay would be reduced to $90 (which would be your mother's money) the facility cannot take it away from her. It is her "mad money" for personal items.

Kaylin likes this.
  10. Honor First

Honor First Newbie

Are you sure you mean Medicaid and not Medicare?

Kaylin likes this.
  11. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

The VA for whatever reason will always mail any paperwork to the claimant's address unless you specifically tell them to mail it somewhere else. But even then it sometimes takes them a bit to change the address.

Kaylin likes this.
  12. J. Martinez

J. Martinez Newbie

Kaylin likes this.
  13. Kaylin

Matt375 is right @J. Martinez , you cannot be disqualified for Medicaid just because you were awarded the A&A benefit.