VA Counselor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sfarinacci, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sfarinacci

sfarinacci Newbie

I live in Ft Lauderdale FL and I want to apply for the Aid and Attendance program for both of my parents. My father is a WWII veteran and is 90 years old ... my mother is 91. I understand that this application process can be very long and drawn out, and I'd really like to get some benefits for them while they're still living! I saw someone in this forum referred to having found a VA Counselor in their local area who helped them with the application and it speeded up the process. How do I find such a person? The local VA hospital?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I have sent you a private message.

3. Max

Max Hero Member

My suggestion would be to contact your county veterans service officer. They offer free help and are usually much better filling out the forms than lawyers (I work at the VA). Where do your parents live? Florida too?

4. armywife42

armywife42 Newbie

Hoping you can help point me in the right direction as well for Texas - specifically Tarrant County or the DFW area - while I try to coordinate this process from our current station in Alabama.

I had been working with a local but very small non-profit office. However something about our exchange isn't & hasn't been sitting right with me from the start & I need to listen to my gut to find another point of contact.

Any direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

5. vetadmin

Armywife,

Where are you in the process, and do you have copies of everything?

6. armywife42

armywife42 Newbie

I must admit after reading through the site last night all I can claim status on is the DD214.

We had the medical statement completed, but the company we were working with said it wasn't worded strongly enough & so that will have to get re-done as well. But they also never shared with me that I would need copies of their marriage certificate & his death certificate - items on this site's list of needed documents. Hence my frustration & need to start over.

We had started this process in June of last year after my mother's 2nd stroke & just frustrated to think the clock has to start over because I didn't do my due diligence upfront. But lesson learned & now extremely grateful to have found this site & for all the time, effort & knowledge you've put into it.

7. vetadmin

Do you know if anything has actually been sent in to the VA? If not, you can do an informal claim to start the clock on the application.

I do not recommend you moving forward with this group/individual. You can do this on your own. A lot of time has been lost here.

8. I beg for foregiveness if I've missed a message on the board here that is a "start here, do this, it'll be ok" sort of message.
    Truth is, I'm so worn down and frantic that I don't know which end is up at times.
    I've been told to apply for the aid and attendence benefit for my father, and was referred to a "financial counselor" with the American Association of Wartime Veterans (http://www.usawarvet.org/) -- but it seems, well, hinky.
    Can I really do this on my own? Should I tell them to take a hike? Is there any benefit to using them? Is there any harm?
    I did ask a similar question in the Scam thread, but I'm not sure I was even remotely clear. Here either!
    Sorry, I'm sleep deprived with two babies at home and full-time active duty myself, and the frantic nature of my dad's current financial situation has me absolutely frazzled.

I'd be extremely grateful for any advice.

9. vetadmin

Tell them to take a hike!

10. stormysix

stormysix Newbie

go a va office we have an advocate in our town and all went real quick. The longest part was waiting for mamas doctors appt. to tell about her problems.

11. vetadmin

Not all Service Officers are created equal, so others do not always have the same experience. It's nice to know that you did.