Trying to get aid for mom

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by jenymako, Nov 5, 2014.

1. jenymako

jenymako Newbie

I'm just finishing up all of the paperwork and want to make sure I'm doing it right. One question,
    my mom is the widow of a vet. Do I check Death Benefits or Accrued benefits?
  2. tomfoster

tomfoster Newbie

Can anyone tell me whether or not an Army reservist ( 1970 - 1977) with more than 90 days active duty during Vietnam War era qualify for Aid and Attendance?
  3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You indicate Death Benefits.

Good Luck with the process!
  4. vetadmin

They would have had to actually been called up to service in order to be eligible.
  5. susanwarner

susanwarner Newbie

I am a bit confused. If I understand this correctly you can be a reservist and get the A&A benefit. In other words being a reservist does not by itself disqualify you for this benefit. If I understand it correctly if a reservist leaves his regular job, serves under orders and is paid by the military for more than 90 consecutive days with at least one day being during war time, then that reservist qualifies.

Please confirm or correct my understanding.
  6. vetadmin

"If" the Reservist was called up to action, and did do 90 consecutive days with one day during a period of war that falls under "Approved Periods of War", yes, they are eligible. However depending on when they served, if in later conflicts, the required amount of consecutive days is 180.
  7. susanwarner

susanwarner Newbie

Thank you for this response. I have not read everything so can you point me towards the difference between 90 consecutive days and 180 consecutive days. In my case it is the Korean war. Does the 90 days or the 180 days apply to the Korean war? For the benefit of others where does the 180 days apply? Thank you so much for your help to me and others.
  8. vetadmin

The Korean War would be the 90 days. The 180 days is for more recent conflicts.