They received my submission in support of claim

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by casagrayson, Apr 15, 2016.

1. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

The VA got my paperwork asking them to reconsider my father's claim. It shows as an open claim, but it doesn't appear that they have reopened the old claim. Also, it has this message:

Status of Your Claim

CLAIM RECEIVED
    Submitted: 04/04/2016 (Pension)
    Estimated Completion: 08/22/2016 - 01/13/2017
    The time it takes to complete you claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.

I don't remember ever seeing such a long window, nor one four months out! I submitted an expedite letter (over age 90) with the package. Should I choose the option of "make a decision now"?

Also, I have connections to their State Representative and the Governor. Should I enlist that help *before* the "make a decision now" choice?

2. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

They updated the page. But it moved the decision *further* out! My dad is not going to last until September, I just know it.

Estimated Completion: 09/15/2016 - 02/16/2017

Is there any downside to just requesting they make the decision? They are showing it as a new claim, BTW, even though I put the original claim number on all the paperwork.

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

casagrayson, I'm not sure what you mean by just requesting they "make a decision". Unfortunately the VA does take their sweet time with these claims sometimes and it can be a wait for the applicant. Since he is over the age of 90, the second dates they gave you (8/22/2016-01/13/2017) don't seem right to me. I would say give it 4 months max and if they still haven't made the decision, get the state Senator involved in your dad's state he is currently living in. That is too long for an expedited application due to age.

4. casagrayson

casagrayson Newbie

Kaylin,

On the website, where I found the dates, there is a button to submit if you want to "request a decision now". That seems to mean that I have no further information to provide to them (which I don't). I just wondered if anyone else had ever submitted that request.

Claim DetailsReturn to Work in Process
    Status of Your Claim

CLAIM RECEIVED
    Submitted: 04/04/2016 (Pension)
    Estimated Completion: 09/15/2016 - 02/16/2017
    The time it takes to complete you claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.

Ask VA to Decide Your Claim

You can request to have your claim evaluated as soon as possible, if you have no other documents or evidence to provide VA. VA will evaluate your claim without waiting for additional evidence.

Request a Claim Decision

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

casagrayson,
    Ah, I see now. I don't work with the eBenefits site that much and have not had the chance to find out everything there is to know about it. You're right, that does sound correct. If you're very VERY confident that you will have no further supporting documents to provide than I guess it would make sense to click that button. That is up to you. Good luck with whatever you decide!