The Countdown begins.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RitaR, Dec 1, 2012.

1. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

Well, I've done it. This morning sent off the VA form 21-4138, Certified, return receipt requested. The lady at the post office said it should arrive Monday. I am excited!!! I posted the other day November 28, 2012 (TIMING) to find out what time of the month is good to get the clock started.

I feel a sense of relief that I have started the process for my Dad. Since posting here on October 17, 2012 (Starting the process) I have been busy putting this together. Notes to myself and thinking, kind of starts to hurt your brain sometimes!!!

I have a basic sort of "Table of Contents" started on my computer so all I have to do is complete and print...WORK IN PROGRESS

Due to my Dad's age, (87) I found a great template here in a posting for the letter to request the application be expedited if at all possible. All I have to do is put in the information I am waiting on to print and put in my folder...WORKING COPY *EVEN THOUGH THE NEWSLETTER DEBBIE POSTED SAID THEY WEREN'T DOING THIS ANYMORE, I'M SENDING IT ANYWAY....

VA form 21-526 (Sep 2009) Saved this on my computer and for the most part I have it completed will just need to place some bank balances in at the end of the month and have my Dad sign and date. I have double checked all areas and made sure there is a N/A or 00.00 in the spaces....(read that it important here!) WORK IN PROGRESS

Supporting Documentation for Medicare Supplement we just got for my Dad..Copies of payment to Insurance company and ID card. Proof of one of his medical costs each month. DONE

CAREGIVER AGREEMENT...ready for us to sign today. After my post on November 16, 2012 (THREE QUESTIONS)DONE

Copy of my VA 21-4138 we sent today. When I receive the return receipt, I will also copy and place in my folder. Also, whatever correspondence I receive from them will copy and place in the documentation. DONE

Military Records- Copy of Dad's DD214 and Reserve papers... DONE

Social Security Wage Statement- This is a copy for 2012...I'm waiting for the 2013 one to arrive to copy and place..this is his only form of income. DONE

VA-form 21-2680 ( June 2008) COMPLETED Physician's form...Bless their hearts!!! They were right on the ball...
    DONE

VA-form 21-4142 (Feb 2012) Authorization to Release Information to Dept. of Veterans Affairs..Complete and ready to sign...WORK IN PROGRESS/DONE

VA-form 21-0845 (May 2010) Authorization to Disclose personal information to a Third Party..so they can talk to me about this application. Ready to sign....WORK IN PROGRESS/DONE

Bank Statements starting July 2012. figured out what to do from my post on November 9th, 2012 (BANKING INFORMATION FOR APPLICATION) waiting for the December 2012 to finish WORK IN PROGRESS

I also had a question in my post November 23, 2012 (EXPLANATIONS ADDED TO APPLICATION) that I felt helped me decide what I needed to include in my application.

Marriage License.....Copy DONE

Death Certificate for my Mom :( DONE

So, anyone that might see something I have missed let me know..

Thanks..all cross your fingers for us that they will be swift in processing!!!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Fingers crossed!

3. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

December 5, 2012: Just picked up the mail...certified receipt has been returned...postmarked for Monday, Dec. 3, 2012. I guess when they process it I will get some kind of letter?

4. vetadmin

5. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

Received Friday December 7, 2012-- postmarked December 5 to my Dad..
    LETTER ACKNOWLEDGING ARRIVAL OF VA FORM-21-4138 STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM!!!!

WOW!! the letter is stapled to a VA-Form 21-526 form with instructions and my signed original I sent Saturday December 1st, 2012. Instructions tell me there is insufficient information to identify the proper record.

It tells me to return the letter of acknowledgement (I'll make my copies of course!) when I send my completed form.

I guess my question is do I also return the blank form they sent me or do I just keep in it my file??

Time to receive from the Milwaukee Pension Center 1st step....7 days!!

6. vetadmin

You don't need to return a blank form to them.

7. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

In reviewing the letter I see in the top right hand corner:

In Reply Refer to: xxx/xxxx/xx
    xxx
    My Dad's last name/first initial

Is this the file number?

Should I put it on every document as a reference?

8. vetadmin

9. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

Hiccup.......Dad had to go to the hospital for cellulitis in his foot...going to have to go to the nursing home for 20 day Therapy and Rehab..if he can't get strong enough to help himself I will have to look at placing him in long term care.

What would be the best way to proceed? Continue to gather information needed and see how the nursing home stay goes?

Arrgh!!!!!!~~~~

10. vetadmin

Yes, continue. Better to be ahead of the curve than behind it. If he is able to leave the nursing home, you will want to proceed. If he is not able to leave, you may want to look at Medicaid as a possible option given the expense of a nursing home. Cover all your bases.

11. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

We started our arrangement Dec 1 for the Caregiver Agreement. Should I just put that off and not worry about it until we know more about who is going to care for him?
    Up to Dec. 1st, we did not charge for his care and did not have an agreement.

12. vetadmin

Since expenses are counted the day of application, you can just wait to see what happens and how he progresses. Medicare should be paying for his stay in rehab, and you can't count that expense.

13. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

December 28, 2012...
    Day 10 of nursing home rehab stay. Dad not doing so well, having a hard time adjusting. Hope he can get to where he can walk and move better again. Will have to keep options open as to his care and how to proceed.

14. vetadmin

Keeping positive thoughts for you.

15. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

What a mess....Dad is going to have to stay in the nursing home. He is so weak and can't do anything for himself and can't walk at all now. I am unable to be his caregiver any longer.
    We are working on cleaning out his house so we can get it listed. Have to file for Medicaid so we can pay for his stay.
    I don't think unless we pay enough of his own money after we sell the house to be eligible for Aid and Attendance we will be able to file. Maybe I'm just not thinking of it right?
    Anyway...more Medicaid forms to do now and sort this all out.
    We have called Hospice to come and help keep him comfortable.
    Any prayers or suggestions welcome....

16. stonewick

stonewick Newbie

Keeping you and your father in our thoughts and prayers.

17. RitaR

RitaR Newbie

Sad as it may be, this morning I received the call from the nursing home....Dad passed away in his sleep this morning gently and the way it should be.
    His journey is over and we are blessed by his life as it was part of ours.
    Thanks all for reading my Countdown to what I was going to do for him if we needed it.
    Keep working towards your help for your loved ones.

Rita

18. vetadmin

Rita,

Our heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.

My heart just breaks for you, although like you, I am glad it was a peaceful quiet passing. I know the angels were there to help him finish his journey.

May God's grace hold you during this difficult time.

19. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

So sorry for your loss, Rita.
    I know you were working so hard to prepare his claim.
    God bless...

20. royce63

royce63 Newbie

Thanks for all your postings, I am confused as to what the 4138 form is for. I am just starting and Ive read so much Im confused, what form is my starting point 525 or 4138

Thanks