success story and a fiduciary question

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by vetson58, Mar 13, 2014.

1. vetson58

vetson58 Newbie

First would like to thank Debbie for this site.It truly is a huge help.Will be sending my donation in soon.I applied for dad in May,and application was lost.Had post office receipt,though.Resubmitted claim in Sept,just got award letter retroactive back to June 1.Also,a proposal of incompetence.Have filled out form 21-4138,as per the instructions.Have a "stupid" question.Who signs the statement in support of claim,me or my dad?I am the one asking to be appointed as his fiduciary.

2. In this exact position myself. Had my father in law (the vet) sign the statement in support form. Also did up a cover letter which my wife signed. I think that the VA considers anything on their own forms as official - so the veteran signs.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

As stupid as it sounds, the vet or the widow signs everything. The VA has only ruled they are incompetent to handle their own financial affairs.

Congrats on getting through the application process, and thank you for the consideration of supporting our work here.

4. vetson58

vetson58 Newbie

thanks so much,Debbie.Yep,these rules are kinda crazy.My dad had no idea what he was signing,and he couldn't see where to sign.Good thing I had made more than one copy,as it took some trial and error to get his signature in the correct spot!!Am just thankful to be getting this help.

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome, and keep in mind if the applicant cannot sign their name, have them make an "X" and have it witnessed by two individuals. If they cannot make an "X", do a thumb print and also two witnesses.