Submitted Application experience

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by sas58, Jul 9, 2010.

1. sas58

sas58 Newbie

Just thought I would bring my experience to the blog specific to submitting my application today.

I had spent the last 45 days gathering everything I needed to submit my fathers Aid in Attendance application. I had researched the internet and spoke to many people along the way and was a bit shocked when I turned the application in.

I had copies of bank registers/ cancelled checks for all medical expenses and caregiver expenses. Copies of the 1099 tax papers from the small IRA that has a $2000/year distribution. Explanation of his declining health and advanced age. Listing of reoccurring expenses and listing of non reoccurring expenses for the last year. Copies of the year to date EOB for prescription meds showing what his portion was and the "Donut Hole" portion. Copies of all medical reciepts for office visits/ER visits.

To my surprise the only thing they wanted was the 526 Application, Dr's. Evaluation form, Release of Information and Notice of Seperation. The remark was keep it simple. Dont make it too complicated.

I am not sure how this will play out. The representative said realistically it will take 7-12 months to process. The service rep at the VA said to not make it to complex. It causes confusion. If they want further documentation to substantiate the claim they will ask. My thinking was give them everything up front so there will not be a delay in the process. I guess the system does not work with this logic.

This blog site has been a great resource. Keep it up.

Scott

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Scott,

Not sure who you spoke with, but I can promise you, if you had not provided all that documentation, that the VA would have sent several form letters letting you know that additional information would be required to consider the application.

The VA has not come out with the new greatly anticipated EZ form, so you were correct in including all the information that you did.

There is no excuse for this to take 7-12 months to process. It is not disability compensation.

I believe you spoke with someone who does not know what they are doing.

Keep us posted.

3. Max

Max Hero Member

It is worth noting that if the 526 or 534 has every question answered with all supplemental evidence listed in the instructions and margins included, that would be everything VA needs. But every case is different...

4. sas58

sas58 Newbie

Yes I did leave thinking he was clueless but he has been doing this for years( so he says). Additionally he said what Max stated in his reply that everything needed is in the application and if it was all completed then nothing else is needed now.

5. kmusselman

kmusselman Newbie

My dad's file weighs about 4 lbs. now. He's dead and there is still no response.