Still waiting

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by kaybece56, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kaybece56

kaybece56 Newbie

We filed the A&A application for Mom in June 2012. We went to the VA office in South Hill, VA, where we presented all our documents and the VA person filled out the application. The application was dated for July 1, 2012. We received the letter from the Philadelphia office that they had received the application on July 13th. We have not received anything else since that time.

This was the second time applying for A&A as we had applied in 2011 for assistance while she was still living at home using aides 3 hours a day. At that time, she did not qualify as her income was too high. She went to Assisted Living, certified as Chronically ill by her PCP, on June 11, 2012.

Is there anything else we should do at this time as it has been 8 months?

Thank you for all you are doing to help us!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I would contact your Mom's state Senator and have them make an inquiry to the status of her application. You will need to sign a form authorizing them to make the inquiry. I would not write them, I would call them.

The concern here even though she is only 8 months into this is that you have not had any additional communication from the VA. That is an indicator that the claim could be sitting dormant.

As a side note, if it had been less than a year from the 1st time you filed, you could and should have simply done a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim updating her medical situation and expenses. The VA would have recalculated based on the new /updated info.

You're welcome!

3. kaybece56

kaybece56 Newbie

I am not sure what was done, as the VA representative did all the work for us.

Will the Senator's office send us the form to fill out or is that something we need to get?

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

They have the form. Ask them to email it to you and get a fax number for them to send it back.