Starting surviving spouse application, questions on 21-534EZ

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Frank Womble, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

Just starting the A&A application process for my mother-in-law, the surviving spouse of a Vietnam veteran who is now in assisted living. This site has been EXTREMELY useful in explaining the details.

I intend to mail her VA Form 21-0966 off this week. My wife and I intend to put our address on the 21-0966 so we can handle the correspondence from the VA. Should we use the same address on VA Form 21-534EZ? I'm concerned that this doesn't match her actual residence address at the assisted living facility. But because she has some dementia, I don't want her attempting to handle the correspondence.

On VA Form 21-534EZ, Section X, Block 40, Medical and other unreimbursed expenses: I intend to include her Medicare deductions, assisted living costs, and prescription drug co-pays. Can I just put the total for the year, or do I have to list every monthly payment? If I use the total cost of each for the year, what do I put in the Date Paid column?

Thanks in advance for any response. I will post as we go concerning my experiences with this application.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Yes, you can use your address as the correspondence. Just make sure to include the Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to Third Party form 21-0845.

For Section X, you can list the amounts per month. For instance, for the assisted living cost, you can put $1000/mo. As long as any expenses you list here are ongoing, that is what the VA is looking for. If you feel the need to clarify your numbers, feel free to use the Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138.

You're quite welcome! I hope that helps. Make sure to mail everything return receipt and keep a complete copy of the entire application for yourself.

3. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

Thanks, that was very helpful.
    I also have a question about form 21-2680, Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance. In Block 25, the question reads "Does the claimant require nursing home care"? My first thought was No, since she isn't in a nursing home. But...should I check Yes instead, and in the explanation state that she resides in an assisted living facility?

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

In all cases of "nursing home" on the application you can cross it out and write "ALF" above to indicate it is an assisted living facility.

5. Gina Williams

Gina Williams Newbie

On section X of the 21-534EZ, do I list my mom's medicare insurance and assisted living expenses? My dad, the veteran, died in 1992. Who do I put as the "Relationship of person for whom expenses paid, if she is paying those expenses for herself?

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Just indicate that your mother is paying for the expenses. I'm sure you can either use her name or say "spouse of veteran" since you are applying for the surviving spouse.

Yes, that is the section where any and all expenses go. Any ongoing care expense like assisted living is definitely included. Medicare insurance can be added but I'm not sure the VA will take it into account.

7. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

@Kaylin, I want to express my sincere thanks for your prompt replies to my questions. Your expert assistance directly resulted in a successful application and award of full A&A for my mother-in-law. We received the notification approving her application on January 31st. "Hero Member" under your name is well-deserved!

Regarding your comment above: In their award letter, the VA stated that they INCLUDED her Medicare Part B premiums, prescription co-pays, dental insurance premiums, and assisted living facility costs as allowable medical expenses in arriving at their decision.

Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

That is awesome, Frank! So happy to hear of another success story - especially a full award of the A&A benefit. I'm happy for you and your family. :) Thank you for the kind words and for updating me on the Medicare Part B premiums. I'll include that in notes for the future.