Sigh : /

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by tanya0090, Apr 20, 2016.

1. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

So, after seeing my dads claim listed as closed on Ebenefits I poked around a little and was able to see his benefit letter online that lists that he will receive aid and attendance $1788 effective April 1st and I called a few days later the VA rep confirmed the April payment. This is a blessing and we are so thankful.

But I'm nervous, sad, angry, hopeful so many emotions right now. We have not received the award letter yet when I call the 1-800 number and go thru the prompts and put in his file number the automated system says we are not able to access your file. I want to know when/if my dad will receive the retro amount for Feb and March. He desperately needs that money his house is almost in foreclosure and as a family we have all done all that we can. It's so frustrating to have no control over the process and not know anything at least in writing.

I realize that compared to the year(s) so many veterans have had to wait my dads claim appears to have made great progress so I'm trying so hard to just be thankful but the stress of his need for assistance for months and the financial struggles combined with not knowing has me about to lose it.

Just thanking you all for reading/listening and I just ask for prayers.

2. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

So I have an update. Because of my father's age (86) they are trying to determine if he is competent and this has been sent to KY. I spoke to someone at the 1-800 number who shared all of this information with me - he was really very nice. He gave me a fax number to send a letter from my dad's doctor saying that he is competent that would go the person handling his case.

I just wonder will that help avoid the whole fiduciary process at all? And I would love to know what that means. The rep said they are "having to learn" who my dad is - but what does that consists of? How long does it take? Because although my dad will receive his first deposit on May 1st (and we are sooooooo thankful) he won't actually get an award letter until this has been decided.

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

tanya0090,

Yes, there is much to be grateful for in your dad's award of the A&A benefit and we are cheering on the exciting news with you!

As for the fiduciary process, I assume you sent in the Physician's Statement form 21-2680 originally with the completed application? There should have been an indication on there if your father was competent or not. If there was not an indication on that form, that could be why the VA is requesting another one filled out by his physician. Unfortunately, the VA may be trying to "force" a ruling of incompetency on your father just so that he has to go through the fiduciary process and must wait longer for the retroactive payments. If he is fully competent to handle his own money and affairs, make sure you get that 21-2680 filled out with the physician clearly showing that AND I would also have the physician type up a letter or sign off on a letter that states that your father is fully competent.

4. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

Thank you for responding!

We submitted form 21-2680 with all of the other documentation and the doctor checked "Yes" for question 27 asking is my dad able to handle his own affairs. But the form also says that mental cognition varies and he needs help with his medicines. I've called his doctor who has agreed to type a letter - so I guess we'll just see what happens.

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

tanya0090,

The Dr's notes referencing his cognition and help with medications will probably be used by the VA to their advantage.

Sad to say, any reference to cognitive, memory, onset etc. will go against him. If they rule him mentally incompetent, you can appeal the decision, but more times than not, (a) is a long process, and (b) usually does not reverse their decision.

Not to sound negative, but want you to be prepared for their decision if they do as they usually do.

6. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

I was afraid of that. :( My dads Doctor wrote a letter and it simply said that he is my dads primary care doctor and my dad is able to handle his own financial affairs independently. I faxed to the hub number provided by the VA rep that gave me all of the info. I hope it helps us avoid all of that but I'm just thankful that my dad has been approved. I'll update as soon as I know something. Thanks

7. vetadmin

tanya0090,

You're welcome, and sorry it's not the best news, but if they come back with incompetent, you should just waive the 60-day waiting period to help speed up the fiduciary process. You will get through that process faster than appealing their decision with no assurance you would prevail.

Keep us posted.

8. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

My father finally received his award letter - Aid and Attendance maximum amount - Yay!

They are proposing incompetency. He received his award letter today (Monday), I faxed the letter from his doctor saying he could handle his own affairs on this past Friday. So I'm thinking of giving it a week or two before I really worry about it. I just wonder how long it will be before they decide if the letter is sufficient and how will I know if it they've determined it to be sufficient???

All in all I am soooo very thankful and relieved. Even though the fidicuary process could be overwhelming I just feel like at this point it's downhill from here. ;D

9. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

tanya0090,

Congratulations! That's awesome news! Happy day! If the VA is already proposing incompetency than I think it'd be best to go ahead and, as vetadmin said, waive the 60 day window to decide and speed up the fiduciary process by accepting it and go forward with the fiduciary process. The best news is he is getting the benefit now.

10. tanya0090

tanya0090 Newbie

I am so happy to report that my father received his first deposit for Aid and Attendance today! :)

This process seemed so overwhelming when I first learned about this potential benefit for my father and I almost didn't apply for him thinking it would just be too stressful - and it was stressful - but it could have been sooooo much worse and he got approved and received his first payment in one month and one week. This is truly a blessing! And I'm so thankful that this forum was available throughout the process for me to read and learn the correct steps to take, follow the journey of others all while providing a place for me to vent in the mist of my numerous breakdowns during the process.

Once I finally sat down and read the entire award letter I learned that my father is able to apply for the 12 months prior. This is great because he definitely required assistance and needed even more assistance during this time. My question is, medical records and evidence of his health are easy for me to obtain, but payment for care will be more difficult. His account is linked to mine so we swap money electronically all the time - but no actual checks for payment. The award letter only stated that proof of his health condition is required but I'm wondering if proof of payment will be required as well.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated. ;D

11. vetadmin

tanya,

Congratulations, and we are so happy that the site and forums were helpful to you.

Regarding the prior 12 months, your best bet is to show the bills since your accounts are linked together, and he can't show these expenses from his personal account. You really should keep them separate.

Hopefully the VA will accept the bills and the Dr.'s statement that his physical condition was the same or close to it the prior 12 months.

Keep us posted, and again, very happy for you and your Dad.