Should I start the paperwork or not? Advice please...

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by happymom28, Feb 7, 2013.

  1. happymom28

    happymom28 Newbie

    I don't know where to start asking questions. My father (age 82) has alzheimers and was recently dianosed with lung cancer. He is pretty much immobile (gets out of bed several times a day to use bathroom), but very demanding and my mother needs help.Should I start this process to get her help, or will it take too long to be any benefit? It seems that everything I have read says it takes months to get approved for these benefits. I don't really think he will live for months, but we are desperate for help.
    Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    I would start the process as you have no idea of how long Dad may be with you, and the demands on your Mom are going to take their toll.

    It generally does take months, but in some cases it goes much faster. Either way, it sounds as though some relief needs to be given to your Mom. Hire an outside care agency to give her some help, and get the application submitted. If it is going to take you a bit to pull all the documents together, file and Informal Claim to start the clock on the effective date on the pension.

Share This Page