Share your Story

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Seasider, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Seasider

Seasider Newbie

I just filed for A&A for my 84 year old Father and 83 year old mother living in Assisted living. I worked with my local VSO who visits the Assisted care facility every other Thursday. This past Friday we received a letter from the VA advising that my fathers medical evaluation is set for June 10th. What should I bring with me to the clinic? They have asked for a list of his medications which I have. They also state:

"if you have private documentation that you wish to subit at the time of your appointment, please bring copies with you and not the originals. Unfortunately we do not have the resources to make copies for you"

Also through the VSO and an attorney I have been advised not to sell my fathers home as it would disqualify him from A&A as it would put him way over the $80,000.00 limit.

I am so thankful that this forum exists. Thanks so much for the invaluable assistance I have received here. I sure hope that my dad gets this badly needed assistance.

:) Tom

Update 6/16/09: I took my father for his hearing test by a VA contractor. All went well. My VSO tells me that he thinks that he VA will make their decision on Dad based on our Local MD's diagnosis. Dementia, stroke, incontinence. We hope to be only two or three months from receiving the A&A benefit for Dad and Mom......

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Seasider,

Just so you know, you do not have to use VA doctors to submit this application. If your dad has a family physcian, he could have filled this form out for you.

Sounds as though you have a VSO who is trying to help you through the process, and we hope you can report back soon with a positive outcome!

3. Seasider

Seasider Newbie

Thank you for your answer and for your passion to help others. I should have said that I filed for my Dads A&A in early February. The VSO here in Astoria Oregon is great. He visits my Dad assisted living facility every two weeks in Seaside Oregon, as there are a few veterans in the facility and in the small towns near it that need help too. I will let you know the outcome of our case. Our VSO estimated 7 months from February until it is approved. :) Tom