Seeking clarification on forms!

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by robin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. robin

robin Newbie

I am beginning the process of gathering the documents needed to submit an A&A claim on behalf of my unmarried 85-year-old father, who is considering moving into assisted living. He is a veteran of the Korean Conflict. I think I have already been misinformed by a VA rep, who said that I first need to fill out a 1010EZ form. I did that last week and now think that I may not have needed to, although I guess it won't hurt? Anyway, as for A&A, I first thought that I needed to fill out the 526 form, but now it appears that I should fill out only the 527EZ form? He is not applying for compensation, just the aid and attendance benefits. i consider myself a fairly intelligent person, so the fact that I am not even sure what to fill out just boggles my mind! I want to do my best to get this right the first time, since his ability to receive these benefits will be a deciding factor in whether he can afford assisted living. He already is paying out of pocket for some assistance at home from a friend of the family. Also - his expenses for care aren't very much now, but they will be if he goes into assisted living. Will the fact that he's not paying for assisted living now hurt his claim to get A&A? Thanks for any guidance!

2. OhioVSO

OhioVSO Newbie

robin,

Yes, the 527EZ is the form to start with, for a pension with A&A.

You said:

"Also - his expenses for care aren't very much now, but they will be if he goes into assisted living. Will the fact that he's not paying for assisted living now hurt his claim to get A&A?"

Go ahead and file. The amount of the pension is based on his income, assets and expenses. It is possible that he may not be eligible for any pension at this time, due to his countable income and assets. By filing now, he will establish basic eligibility and in the future - when his finances change - you can report the changes.

3. robin

robin Newbie

Thanks so much for the response.

4. alillquist

alillquist Newbie

I have a question regarding forms, do you use the 527 ez or the 534ez, I have seen places it says one or the other or both. I am filing for my mother. who is a surviving spouse.

Thanks

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

21-534 is the correct form for the surviving spouse to use.