Requesting Separation Papers for WW II vets and Documents(Certified and copies)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cathy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Cathy

Cathy Newbie

1) I went to the www.vetrecs.archives.gov site and they indicate:
    The report of separation form issued in most recent years is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.

My Dad was a WW II Vet discharged in 1944(I think, Mom would know for sure but suffice to say pre-1950). We might have the original which I hate to send. BUT just in case we can't find it, can I still use the request form on the above site since it appears to be specifically DD Form 214 which is post 1950 ?

In addition, what is a certified copy--how do you make it certified ? I read on another post in the forum the recommendation to just take the documents to the VA to get them certified. Not so easy when the VA is clear on the other side of Florida from Mom.
    Hopefully I am overcomplicating things. Clarification would be most appreciated.

2) About the marriage certificate- what is a marriage certificate versus a license ?

3) Sounds like copies of death certificates and marriage certificates are not being requested as certified or blessed or whatever--just xeroxed copies. Is it really that straightforward (assuming I figure out what a marraige certificate is) ?

Thanks in advance.

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

I went to the www.vetrecs.archives.gov site and they indicate:
    The report of separation form issued in most recent years is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.

My Dad was a WW II Vet discharged in 1944(I think, Mom would know for sure but suffice to say pre-1950). We might have the original which I hate to send. BUT just in case we can't find it, can I still use the request form on the above site since it appears to be specifically DD Form 214 which is post 1950 ?

The forms (document - discharge) in question are basically all the same and all serve as a DD214 for VA purposes. They show the dates of service and type of discharge. You can use the same request form for all periods of service.

In addition, what is a certified copy--how do you make it certified ? I read on another post in the forum the recommendation to just take the documents to the VA to get them certified. Not so easy when the VA is clear on the other side of Florida from Mom.
    Hopefully I am overcomplicating things. Clarification would be most appreciated.

The easiest and safest way to get a certified copy is to take the original to the your County Recorder’s office and have it recorded. They will usually give you one or two certified copies free of charge. Once the discharge is recorded, you can always obtain additional certified copies. There may be a small charge for future copies.

You can also take the original to your County Veterans Service Officer. They can make a copy and certify that it was made from the original. The VA Regional Office will accept these.

I would never send any original documents to the VA. They have a very hard time of keeping track of records and returning documents.

About the marriage certificate- what is a marriage certificate versus a license ?

Marriage license means the individual got a license to get married but it does not mean that the individual actually got married. Marriage certificate confirms the date of marriage and who got married. Sometimes the marriage license and marriage certificate are both on the same form.

Sounds like copies of death certificates and marriage certificates are not being requested as certified or blessed or whatever--just xeroxed copies. Is it really that straightforward (assuming I figure out what a marriage certificate is)?

Like everything else, the VA Regional Offices are not consistent on their policies. Some VA Regional Offices will accept copies on almost all documents as long as they do not look as though they were altered or tampered with. Other VA Regional Offices requests certified copies on almost all documents.

The Veteran Advocate