registering on eBenefits to check status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonyb, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tonyb

tonyb Newbie

lord, give me strength. i figured i would check the status of the claim for my mom, so i went to eBenefits. you have to register for login info, which is normal with any website, so i used the registration wizard. here in lies the problem. IF THE VETERAN OR THE PERSON INQUIRING IS NOT REGISTERED WITH "DEERS", whatever that is, YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANYTHING. its no wonder our government is so messed up. apparently if the vet was discharged after the 1980's they have a number to enter. my dad was discharged in 1952 so... get ready folks. another hoop. my legs are getting a workout form all of this jumping. sorry, just had to vent a little. apologize for wasting anyone's time. just thought a warning was necessary. have a gooday.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Feel free to vent away.

3. tonyb

tonyb Newbie

thanks. i appreciate it.

4. tonyb

tonyb Newbie

can anybody shine some light on this issue? not sure what to do next. could drive to milwaukee, but really dont want to. haha. i live in ohio. cold enough here.

5. vetadmin

Tony,

Try calling. Not much we can offer up on the e-benefits situation for you.

6. tonyb

tonyb Newbie

will do.thanks.i did call them once when i was working on the packet. the message said i could leave a callback number and was told they would call me back and gave me a time, something like between 11 and 11:30 a.m. on that day. my cell rang at 11:20. i was pleasantly surprised. if memory serves the guy i talked to could not answer my question, but he did try. i was just happy they called back, so HEY FORUM USERS, TAKE NOTE. maybe...

7. Becky

Becky Newbie

I was trying to get on e benefits to update the information so our benefits would continue (we were approved until January 1, 2016.) I had the exact same experience and got so exasperated!!! Many phone calls only to have each person tell me something different!!! This process is VERY broken. Right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing. I wanted to use e benefits to expedite things because evidently when you mail or fax the information it takes a month to get to the right person for approval. My understanding in reading about e benefits in the letter I was sent, using that portal would go directly to the decision maker. Now, I have lost valuable time (been trying to get on e benefits for at least 4 months) I am going to have to send the info by fax anyway. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

8. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Becky,

I understand your frustration. We don't recommend people use the e-benefits website here because of it's problems reported by people. Also, if you go in to change one thing on the application, it send your application back to the bottom of the pile. It is a broken system.

I do hope you get your application worked out!

Kaylin

9. vetadmin

You can use VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to update any information the VA needs to be aware of.

As Kaylin stated, we do not recommend e-benefits due to system glitches that can cause more problems than assistance.

Be sure to keep a copy of the form and mail Return Receipt.