Reapplying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patty56, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Patty56

Patty56 Newbie

My mother applied for A &A as a surviving spouse in 2012. She was denied because of income. Things have changed now and she would like to reapply. Does she just need to fill out new application and put her existing case number on it?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You can use her existing claim number. Just use the Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 to update the VA on her status. I would also include any documentation of increased expenses or her depleted income/assets like bank statements. Make sure to mail return receipt and keep a copy of everything.

3. Patty56

Patty56 Newbie

Should I file an Intent to File a Claim form for this reapplying?

4. Kaylin

No, it shouldn't be too difficult to gather the information you need to reapply. I don't think an Intent to File would work in this situation since you've already applied and she was denied. Just use the Statement in Support of Claim and any supporting documents that show increased expenses and/or depleting income.

5. Patty56

Patty56 Newbie

Is the claim number in the upper right corner of correspondence with the VA? Also are you saying I do not need to send in another application? Just send in form 21-4138 and documentation of increased expenses and depleted income? The original application I sent was SSA-24 not 21-534EZ.

6. Kaylin

The VA file number you will leave blank. Ah, now that is an important piece of information. Then yes, you would need to submit the 21-534EZ and complete the full application. I thought that was what you had submitted the first time. I advise sending in an Intent to File while you are completing the full application.

7. Patty56

Patty56 Newbie

So am I filing for accrued benefits?

8. Kaylin

If you are filing for your mother as a surviving spouse then you are filing for the death pension. Since you are submitting your application for the 21-534EZ, when you submit that Intent to File, her retroactive benefits would start from that date the Intent to File was received.