Questions Re: Medical Expense Report Form 21-8416

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cattail, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Cattail

Cattail Newbie

Hello, and thank you for the forum and the help. I am new here. Almost two years into the process for A&A Pension Claim for my 83-year-old Dad who has Alzheimer's. In the latest round of documentation being requested (a good sign I think) from the Pension Mgmnt Center is four 21-8416 forms for four different time periods. I am listing the following items:

1. Cost of Assisted Living care (doctor prescribed)
    2. Medicare Premiums Part B premiums deducted from SS check - on the form, #21, column A is already filled in with: MEDICARE (PART B) - are the monthly premium amounts what is being asked for here? I think that's correct, but want to double-check. I am listing my Dad's and his wife's premiums.
    3. Prescription expenses, including mail order Rx. Again, for both dad and wife.

Am I on the right track here? The PMC wants to compare "initial year" and "calendar year" medical expenses to give dad the greatest benefit. Are there expenses I'm missing? Can you give examples of what else might be included here? Thanks much.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

3. Cattail

Cattail Newbie

Thank you, the information in the form that you sent the link for helps. It took one year before we even received a reply that dad's application was received and was in process. Then we received the first letter asking for a whole bunch of items. Sent that in. It takes about 3-4 months before what we send in is reviewed and then we get another letter asking for more documentation. We are slowly whittling down the list. This will be the third or fourth round of sending in more documentation. It is very complicated, and I took over from another family member who is now living far away. I do think we are getting there. Thanks again for the help.

4. vetadmin

You're welcome.

However, if you know of feel that all the necessary information and documents has already been provided, I highly suggest you contact his state' Senator's office and have them make an inquiry as to the status of his application.

Two years providing they had everything to make a determination is unacceptable.

5. RV

RV Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and am filing an application on behalf of my 92-year old mother who has early stages of dementia. Does anyone know where I can find a list of what documentation is required to verify the application? I have App for DIC, Death Pension and/or Accrued Benefits (w/voided check), Exam for Housebound Status or Perment Need for Regular A&A (completely filled out - I filled it out for the doctor), separation papers (he was in WWII), my Dad's death certificate (1969), marriage certificate (1942). bank statement, proof of 2013 income, SSA letter re award for 2014, Auth to Disclose Personal Info to Third Party (for my sister and myself), printouts of all unreimbursed medical and RX expenses for 2013 and 2014 (which isn't much), and "Countable Income" form. Do I need to provide a copy of her lease at the facility? She just moved into a facility that has independent living accommodations clear through end of life care. She is in the independent living portion, and I want to claim all of her rent $1,550 as being unreimbursed health care expenses because they provide: 24/7 security, life alert that works on the whole 23 acres, flexible meal program, all kinds of classes, games, and activities, shuttle transportation, bi-weekly cleaning service, fitness center, learning and computer center, and all utilities. If she were still living alone in her condo, she would have to pay dearly for all of these services. Your thoughts, anyone?

6. vetadmin

This link will provide you with a list of the necessary documents. http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

This link will help you to arrive at her "countable income" and what expenses you can claim. http://www.veteranaid.org/forums/index.php/topic,1313.0.html

You cannot file for DIC unless the veteran was rated by the VA, getting compensation for it, and their death was due to service-connected injuries acknowledged by the VA.

You cannot file for both DIC and A&A. You need to determine which is applicable for her.

You cannot file the 21-0845 Approved 3rd Party with more than one name as that approved party.

Independent Living does not qualify regardless of the games, activities, fitness center etc.

She can only claim as allowable medical expenses for care. If she were in the Assisted side, then that is considered "custodial care" and her rent would be allowable. Independent side does not offer the same level of care.

7. RV

RV Newbie

Thank you for the information. Ok, no DIC - it doesn't apply to her. I'll also take one name off the 20-0845. So, if we can only deduct $7,000 from her $20,000 income, then she makes too much money to receive anything, correct? What is the use of my applying before she needs assisted living, if at all?

8. vetadmin

If she cannot show that she financially needs this pension in order to pay for care and allowable expenses, then this would not be the time to apply.

9. RV

RV Newbie

So I should put the whole thing on hold until it is determined that she has to go into Assisted Living quarters, because otherwise her income is more than is allowed for any benefits, correct?

10. vetadmin

Given her advanced age, the VA is not going to allow her very much.

In addition, without an expense for care, she cannot demonstrate a "need" for the pension.

The VA looks for the applicant to be at zero or close to it at the end of the month once backing out "allowable" expenses. She is not there.

11. RV

RV Newbie

Ok, thanks for the info even though it's not what I wanted to hear....I think we will wait until she has to go to assisted care before we apply. At least I have the process down. However, I worked for litigation attorneys for 30 years as a paralegal and found this process to be very time-intensive and labor-intensive. I do know you don't want to make any mistakes when applying. Thank you so much for the sound advice. You guys are doing a fantastic job!

12. vetadmin

You're welcome, and I do suggest you keep all the documents gathered and ready if and when the time comes. Makes things a lot easier when you are not in a crisis and trying to located everything.