Question reguarding VA deduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maralina1, Mar 30, 2012.

1. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

A VA rep called today about retroactive payments. I decided to ask him a question reguarding the original award amount. On the award letter it says " income amount $26,280 - medical expenses $25,025- which reduces your countable income to $2029."
    When I told him the amount should be $1255., not $2029, he said the VA has standard a deduction of $744 ffrom the medical expenses, before it calculates countable income.
    Also, we sent a fax showing homecare increase since August of $130. This was faxed in January along with receipts. The rep said we should see the increase in April's payment, but no retroactive adjustment on it.
    Debbie, is this correct? thanksl

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The retro payment should go back to when the increase in care expenses were incurred.

As long as you can show she has been paying the higher amount and have the receipts, you are entitled from the time you informed the VA. If you had been paying the increase and not told them till later, then no.

3. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

How do we get another person to handle this?
    A rep called and told my mom that he would be working on the retro payments. He also said the pension would be decreased by $44 in June. This makes no sense to me.
    Also, that because they received an increase in Social Security they were not entitled to a COLA from the VA. He told me the same. Social Security is there only income.
    I faxed a Medical Expense Report in January showing an increase in homecare cost since August( along with receipts) So the pension should be adjusted and retropayments are owed since January, right?
    Also, he will not adjust the pension from the informal claim date. We have faxed the informal claim that was mailed back.... What is the MAPR of $774 that is added to the Countable Income? The Field Rep who was here for the interview was a very nice man. He went over everything, said my parents countable income was past $0, witnessed the informal claim, said he would file a report to adjust the pension properly and make sure it went back to the informal claim date.
    The rep who called said he has no record of any of this! We don't know what to do.

4. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Sorry everthing ran together, not enough space.

5. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Pleasae comment on these questions. I' m calling the VA today. thank you

6. vetadmin

They must be in a partial award situation if the Soc Sec COLA increase is decreasing their VA benefit.

It should adjust the pension payment if it was a partial award, I don’t know if retro is owed to January 2011? Or medical expenses increase as of January 2012 – the letter sent in Jan will increase the award back to August.

There is no $774 added to countable income.

7. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

My dad SHOULD receive the full pension, but I believe the VA has been fudging his award amount from the start. The field rep even said their income "0". The claims rep told me there is 64.50 monthly amount that is added to the countable income. It is standard amount.

8. vetadmin

This rep does not know what they are talking about, and you need to request to speak with someone else, or get in touch with the agent who did the interview, and ask him if there is anyway he can help to clear up the matter.

9. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

The award letter shows the discrepancey. It states income $26,280 - medical expences $25025- countable income $2029...Should be $1,255!!! He told me a standard VA amount of 64.50 is added monthly, $774 yearly.
    Even the 1,255 is incorrect anyway it should be close to "0".
    Thank you so much Debbie. You're the only person who knows this system. I feel like taking all this to my Congressman's office, but they probably don't know enough to know the VA is wrong.

10. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

I don't know if this helps at all, but on the va website when you look at a sample of how they determine countable income there is a sort of deductable. It seems like the first few hundred of medical expenses are not deducted from income. It shows a sample of vet with spouse, first $802 is not deducted from income, something to do with that 5% of mapr. It looks like they only deduct after that amount is spent by the vet.

11. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Thanks, I just looked at it. Was this amount deducted from your pension too?

12. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

We just started down this difficult road. Sent the application this last Friday for my husband Korean war vet who has a had a stroke and now has vascular dementia. I had read that deductible info on one of the older posts somewhere so I looked to see if I could kind of figure what my husband would be eligible for. Thank you for your post about your mom and dad because they are helping me with my nerves about the whole process and the fiduciary and everything. It is sooo overwhelming and we are just trying to get help for our loved ones.
    :)

13. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Thanks for your help Vetwife. Please, don't let our recent posts discourage you. My Dad's claim was sent in the middle of May and approved July 29th. Not too bad really. And some claims are approved much quicker. Our issue has been with award amount, the fiduciary process and the informal claim.
    Have you sent an informal claim? If not, you should. Always keep copies of everthing you send and keep everything they send you.
    Actually the process is not that complicated, just follow the directions on this website. All the best to you and your husband.

14. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Sorry, did not realize you sent application. Please disreguard the informal claim part.

15. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

Thank you so much Maralina1 :) :)
    I never would have dreamed I would be on an online forum like this.
    It is like having friends out there going thru the same things as you.
    God bless you and your Mom and Dad.
    I think dementia and altzheimers disease are the most difficult thing a person will ever cope with.
    I cared for my mother until she passed at 60 and now...my husband :(
    Stay in touch...