Please Help My Dad

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by laurengrider, Oct 24, 2015.

  1. laurengrider

    laurengrider Newbie

    My dad is ill, and I am getting a crash course in the VA. So far I am unimpressed. :(
    I am in a bit of a bad situation as far as having to get the ball rolling on a lot of things with the VA at once. We have several issues.
    1) My first question is in filing the Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party form, where the heck do I send it. I spent almost 3 hours on the phone with the VA yesterday, and the representative assured me the address was on the form she was sending, and when I got the form, it simply says to go to the VA website to select the address. Um... where? We live in Alabama, by the way. Does that mean I send it to the office in Montgomery?
    2) My dad, through a clerical error the VA made, has two separate files. Both are his correct name, but one has the wrong social security number. Somewhere along the way, the wrong number was keyed in and he ended up with two files. The problem is, we have never been able to get the two files merged into one file. So unfortunately a lot of his medical information is attached to the "incorrect" file, but his current disability rating is attached to the "right" file. When combined, the evidence should be enough to put him at 100%, but he has apparently been working for years to combine them and been unsuccessful.
    3) I am starting the process for filing a reconsideration of his disability status. Help.
    4) We are also starting the aid and attendance paperwork. Where do I send the completed packet in that case?
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    My apologies for the slow response to your post. I had commitments with deadlines.

    There is some confusion here as your Dad is already receiving "compensation" from the VA for service-connected injuries. This alone without him having that 100% service-connected rating at this time. would mean he would have to choose which one he wanted. Either his "compensation" or "pension" (A&A). Only those with 100% service-connected can keep their "compensation", and have the addition of A&A. The addition of A&A is not at the full benefit award in these cases. Usually falls somewhere between $700-$850 on top of the "compensation" amount.

    I would suggest contacting his State's Senator and ask for their assistance in getting his two files combined into one as without this being done, you really cannot move forward without giving up the "compensation" amount he receives. You need to let them know you have been trying for years to get this done without success.

    You would always send anything to the proper Pension Maintenance Center that handles his state. A list of those follow below. This is where you would want to send the 21-0845.

    Hope you can get this resolved, get your Dad his 100% and be able to have the addition of A&A to help pay for his care.

    Again, my apologies for the delay in responding.

    ALWAYS mail correspondence "Return Receipt" so that you have proof of delivery.

    See the following for a breakdown as to which centers handles which states:

    Milwaukee Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5400 West National Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53214
    Processes claims for the following states:
    AL, AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, OH, TN, WI.

    St. Paul Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling
    St. Paul, MN 55111-4050
    Processes claims for the following states:
    AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, MN, NM, MT, ND, NE, NV, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY.

    Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19144
    Processes claims for the following states:
    CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, PR, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV.

Share This Page