No Acknowledgement of receipt of application

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gidgetpb, Dec 1, 2009.

1. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

I submitted the Application for A&A for my Dad the 23rd of October. I mailed it certified return receipt, tracked the delivery of the package on the Poastal Service website, and received the signed receipt back in the mail from the Post Office after it was delivered - so I know they got it. I was expecting to receive a letter acknowledging the application had been received and asking if I had futher information to supply. So far, I have not heard a peep from the VA. I sent the application to the regional VA center in Pittsburgh, where my Dad lives. It is my understanding that applications through Pittsburgh are forwarded to Philadelphia for processing. How long should I wait before follow-up, and who should I follow up with?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Given that the application more than likely had to be forwarded on to the Philly office, and the 4-day holiday weekend, you should allow another two weeks to hear something back. If at that time, you still have no acknowledgement, call the VA's 800 number and ask about the application being received.

3. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

Friday I called the VA 800 number to try to get some sort of information on the status of my father's claim. I was connected to someone in St. Louis, who was unable to locate any information at all. He says there is no information under my father's name or social security number. He tried to tell me that hte problem was that I had applied for Aid & Attendance, which is supplemental to the Basic Pension, but my father is not currently receiving any pension. He trie dot imply I had used an incorrect form, and should apply first for basi pension using 21-256. I had to tell him on three seperate occasions during our conversation that the Basic, Homebound and A & A pensions all use the same form for application, there is no place on the form to identify what level of pension one is applying for, and that the 21-256 IS the form I submitted. Finally he gave me a local fax number for the Pittsburgh REgional Office where I maile dthe form back in October, and suggested I fax a letter to the Claims & Benefits office explaning my problem and asking for assistance.

I immediately wrote a letter outlining the steps I had taken to date including hte name of the person at the Pittsburgh office who signed for the package when it was delivered and faxed it to the number he gave me, with a notation to please acknowledge receipt of the fax. I provided address, email and telephone information for them to contact me.

BIG SURPRISE - no acknowledgement that the fax has been received, either.

The VA website does not list a local phone number for the Pittsburgh office. Is there any way to find a local number for them? What else can I do to get someone to talk to me about this and tell me what I need to do to get things moving? My Dad will not be able to pay his Assisteded Living rent on February 1st. How can I expidite a response?

4. vetadmin

You are still at just 60 days, so as hard as it to not be frustrated, I would give it till the first of the year. If at that point you don't have anything, you might want to consider contacting your Senator and ask for their assistance especially if the VA is still claiming they don't have a record of his application.

5. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

Should I contact the Senator in the state where I live, or the State where my Dad lives?

6. vetadmin

I would start with the state your dad lives and see how receptive they are to helping. If that doesn't go the way you want it to, go with your state.

Keep in mind that since you only filed in Oct that you may face some challenges as it is no where near the amont of time it generally takes to get this through the system. Your biggest issue right now is that no one is showing the application received or in the system. You won't be able to argue that it has been months that he has been waiting.

7. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

As anxious as we are to get approval, I expect that to take at least 6 months for processing, and then they will have to apoint a fiduciary which will take even longer. My primary concern right now is just getting a simple acknowledgement of receipt. I sent the package registered return receipt, and got back from the Post Office the signed receipt dated October 26, so I KNOW it got there. My concern is what has happened to my acknowlegement of receipt letter? If I have to resubmit, I just want someone to tell me so. I have a little bit of savings which I had budgeted out to keep Dad's rent covered for a few months, but that will be gone by June. I don't mind the ball rolling slowly (well, I do - but I understand it's the norm), I just want to get the ball rolling at SOME pace. I'd like assurance that I tossed it the right direction and that they caught it.

8. vetadmin

Gidget,

Nothing generally happens in the timeframe we would like it to with regards to the VA. Give it just a little more time. You should not have to refile.

9. gidgetpb

gidgetpb Newbie

HOORAY! We finally got a letter acknowledging receipt of the application!

My sister spotted it and fished it out of Dad's trash can at the ALF a couple weeks ago. He throws anything he does not recognize/understand (which is everything other than cards/letters from his "girlfirend") into the trash. That's why I included a 21-22a and a cover letter with the application requesting all correspondence be sent to my address.

The VA letter asked to be notified of any change of mailing address. So I wrote them another letter, reminding them that they had the 21-22a appointing me as claimant representative and again providing MY address as his mailing address.

I've also notified my sister and the staff at the ALF to check through his trash on a regular basis, as I don't expect the
    VA to actually pay attention to my request.

The ball is slowly wobbling forward........

10. vetadmin

Well at least the ball is rolling in the right direction. Now comes all the "We are processing your application" form letters, but at least it is getting in the system. Be sure to keep us posted.