Newbie with a question about "household income" on app form

Discussion in 'Countable Income' started by lvdr76, Mar 9, 2015.

1. lvdr76

lvdr76 Newbie

Hello. I'm currently filing a claim on behalf of my grandmother. She lives with me and my mother. On the form it says "report total net worth for your household", "report total monthly income for your household" and "report expected total household income for the next 12 months". My question is what classifies as "household"? Would that include all three of us? And if so, do we need to send any financial proof or do we just need to send my grandmother's financial information? Thank you!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You report only her income. Do not include any expenses or income that is not hers.

I want to clarify that she is paying either you or your Mom, or care services coming so that she has expenses to claim.

3. lvdr76

lvdr76 Newbie

Thank you so much. Yes, and we have a nurse that comes too. But she is a friend of the family and we pay her direct. Will I have to provide any proof of expenses because I'm afraid that may be difficult to do?

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You do have to be able to document her expenses for care, as the pension is for helping to offset those costs, and you do have to demonstrate a financial need for the pension to be able to pay for care.

Your grandmother needs to be paying her from her own checking account. If she is only having someone come in for a couple of hours, it may be difficult to show the need due to low expenses.

5. lvdr76

lvdr76 Newbie

Thank you! Since my grandmother has kidney cancer and her condition is getting progressively worse with each day we anticipate her needing more care in the near future. So how would one prove that?