My Hero has passed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kimmyk, Sep 19, 2012.

1. kimmyk

kimmyk Newbie

It is with great sadness and a very heavy heart to say that my father has passed away. He died peacefully at a skilled nursing center in the early hours on Monday, September 17. He was 88 years old and one of the last great WWII vets of that era. He missed my mom so much as she passed away only 11 months ago. They were married 58 years. I thank each of you who helped me to get the Aid & Attendance pension for him. It took some time but was well worth it to be able to pay for his caregivers and keep him at home for as long as I could. He was so proud that the VA was helping him. On behalf of my father, I made a donation to this organization for the worthy cause and the efforts of Debbie who created it. A BIG thank you to her. I need to let the VA know of his passing and not quite sure if I can do this by phone or send in a statement. Since he received a pension check on September 1st I was not sure if he would be receiving another one since they are 30 days out. I would greatly appreciate any information that would help me in this very difficult time. God Bless.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Kimmy,

I am so sorry to hear this. My heart breaks for you.

I am so happy to know that the information and support provided by VeteranAid.org proved helpful and that your Dad knew his service had been honored.

You can call the VA and inform them, but getting through may be more frustration than you need to endure at the moment. You can also us VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to inform them.

Again, my condolences and heart felt prayers for you and your family.

3. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

So sorry for your loss, Kimmy. :(
    I am sure he is rejoined with your mom.
    Vetwife

4. suse

suse Jr. Member

I am so sorry for your loss but I know you take comfort in the knowledge that your Dad is no longer in the grips of any pain or suffering. While the pain for those of us left behind is enormous, proportionately so is the relief that their journey here is over and the joyful reunion with your mother is just beginning.

Suse

5. Fillise

Fillise Newbie

Kimmy,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. It is obvious you loved him very much and he you. I pray that your memories of him will be a source of comfort and strength in the days ahead.

Susan

6. kimmyk

kimmyk Newbie

Thank you so much everyone. It has been a very heartbreaking week for me. My father's memorial service was yesterday and he received full military honors. He would be so proud as I know I was. He was a great man and my hero. Thank you for the information regarding notifying the VA about his passing. Again, I can't begin to express how thankful I am for all of your help with the A & A pension I got for my dad. God Bless you all.

7. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

God Bless you Kimmy, and may His Grace hold you during this difficult time.