My father's story

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by SickofVA, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SickofVA

SickofVA Newbie

My father is an honorably discharged WWII Marine Corps veteran. He is 89 y.o. and in a nursing home due to progressive dementia for at least 10 years. I have been trying to get the A&A pension for him for over one year. It finally was awarded beginning this coming October. I started in June 2013.

My recommendation for anyone applying for this pension is to involve your senator or congress person as soon as possible, as this is the only thing that finally sped up this process. The office I went through (St. Paul) "lost" his first fully developed application. They will not accept certified mail or Fedex deliveries. The phone number is a joke. You have to wait 1/2 hour to talk to anyone, they cannot answer any questions and some are just plain rude. One said she had to put me on hold. I said OK. She just set the phone down and I could hear talking. She sad, "another whiner", then hung up on me. Unbelievable!

This has been the worst process I have ever had to go through, but finally (I hope) my father will get some much needed funds so he can live his final days safely and in peace.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry you have had such a go of it, but sadly, this is pretty common practice with no acceptable excuse to be offered.