My Experience (positive outcome)

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by brunn2, May 5, 2016.

1. brunn2

brunn2 Newbie

I originally filed a claim for A&A the end of October 2015 through the Philadelphia office to fast track the claim due to my mothers age and income (used a copy of the letter someone posted on this forum). I got letters from them over the next several months saying they were working on the claim. In March (see post of 3/22/16) I got the Asset page back stating I used N/A instead of zero for the area not applicable and to resubmit with the correction but that the application would not be fast tracked anymore. On April 26 (see post) I got a call from a VA rep saying she was assigned to adjucate the claim for expenses because the way I filled out the date it didn't look like they were recurring expenses. We went through them and she said she would resubmit but it may be a few months before I hear anything. Then, BAM, today 5/5 I look in my mothers bank account and there is the money, retroactive to my file date. As thorough as I thought I was in completing the application, I still made 2 errors but still got the award in 6 months.

2. eifan115

eifan115 Newbie

Hi and thanks for the info. I'll have to look at my paperwork (not completely filled out yet) but how do you indicate that the expenses are recurring?

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

eifan115,

They have specific sections on the 21-527EZ where you list recurring expenses. I believe it's Section X.

4. brunn2

brunn2 Newbie

Section X is where I listed the expenses but where it asked for the Date, I put the last date I paid the expense. They were looking for more than one date as the way I filled it out didn't look like a recurring expense. The rep agreed the form was confusing and was looking for a range of dates, but there is not enough room to put that on the application.

5. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I agree. It is confusing. I was told to put down the range of dates for a whole year for recurring expenses.

6. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I found the local veterans affairs Service Officer in my county and met with her to review the application. She was extremely helpful in making clarifications to the application. Two things I found most helpful: 1) if the service officer looks at your original documents (DD-214, death certificate, etc.) they can copy them, and then stamp the copies, and sign them certifying that they saw the original copies. Then you can mail those instead of possibly losing the originals that we all spend so much time gathering. 2) She gave me the VA fax numbers for sending the intent to file form as well as the application itself. The fax report would constitute the receipt of the documents by the VA. I'm guessing some will still want to use certified mail, but I thought the fax option was quite helpful as well.

gmasjo likes this.
  7. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Thank you for that insight, toxdoc49. Good idea to double check your application with your local veteran service officer!