Moved Mother from ALF to Skilled Nursing Facility (Nursing Home) What form?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kathya5084, Oct 12, 2015.

  1. kathya5084

    kathya5084 Newbie

    My mother is receiving Aid and Attendance. We had to move her to a skilled nursing facility after she fell and broke her hip. She can no longer live in assisted living.
    How do I notify the VA of her move? I tried calling my Field Examiner and she is on special assignment until May 2016.
    I have searched the forums and it looks like I need to fill out a 21-4138 STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM? If that's correct, how do I fill it out? Do I also need a statement of occupancy from the facility? Do I mail it with my form or does the facility mail it?
    Do I need anything else? I also found form 21-077, but it seems to be for new claims, not existing ones?
    To complicate matters, we will be filing for Medicaid in November, but I'll cross that bridge when it happens.

    Thanks for any guidance!
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    Yes, you would send in the Statement in Support of Claim form to update the VA on your mother's status of moving to a nursing facility. Let them know she has moved and if she will then be requiring more benefit funds for her care. If she is already receiving the maximum amount allotted to a veteran ($1,788) or veteran's spouse ($1,149) then it will simply be an update on her living status.

    I think it would be best to get a statement of occupancy from the facility so the VA will be receiving legitimate paperwork that supports your claim. I would add that statement from the facility with your Statement in Support of Claim when you send it in. Always mail return receipt when sending these type of documents.

    I hope that helps you and your mother. :)
  3. kathya5084

    kathya5084 Newbie

    Thanks for your response! I will send the forms to my Hub - I think it's Nebraska. I cringe every time I have to send them a change or update for fear of something getting messed up. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks again for your help!
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    You do need to get the Nursing Home Statement of Occupancy.

Share This Page