Mother Approved In About 30 Days

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Steve Wilner, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Steve Wilner

Steve Wilner Newbie

I am in shock ! I mailed the completed application for my mother who is a surviving spouse on August 30. (My father previously had A&A until he passed away in 2014). The return receipt card was dated September 1. A deposit was made in my mother's checking account on October 4 for about $2300. We have not received any communications from the VA since September 11 when they said they are processing the claim. The intent to file date was 7/18/2017 - so I can not figure out what the payment is for and what time period it covers. At this point we will take whatever we can get since my sister & I have been helping to cover the home health costs. I assume monthly payments will follow.. This site and forum was extremely helpful to me since I got all of my questions answered here and I followed all of the advise on the site. I would say it had to be record time - since we were hoping to get an answer by the end of the year. Thanks to all.. Steve

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

That is so great to hear, Steve!!

3. Steve Wilner

Steve Wilner Newbie

Something is OFF.. I reported earlier this month that my mother received a deposit in her checking account for 2 months of A&A. I assumed that meant she was approved but after a few weeks we never got any notification from the VA. I called a few days ago and the customer service rep could not give me any information and said he would send my inquiry to the pension service center and we should hear back within 10 days. I would have assumed if she was paid - she must have been approved but there seems to be some doubt about this now ? Not sure how she could have seen a payment in her account if she was not approved. We are hoping it is just a communication paperwork issue.. Steve

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Since you received that first payment on Oct. 4th, I'm betting that you will see the first monthly amount she will receive on November 1st or 2nd for that month's payment. Generally it is at the first of every month that the month's worth of A&A is deposited to the recipient. I would wait until Thursday to check again and if you do not see any sort of deposit for the monthly amount then I would keep contacting the VA by phone until you get an answer on the status of the application. She should still get a letter telling her about her award either way...

5. Steve Wilner

Steve Wilner Newbie

Well - I see a pending deposit in my mother's account for $1153 - so all I can assume is that she was approved. However, we never got an official notice from the VA and even after I called - still no response. We will just accept the money and leave it at that for now I guess..!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

It is strange. But I'm happy to hear it has a happy ending!

7. Steve Wilner

Steve Wilner Newbie

Well the official letter came today. It indicates my mother was approved as of August 1 - although our intent to file form date was July 22 - but I am not going to squabble over 9 days. It is odd there is no date on the letter - so I do not know if this was just sent late or if my phone call last week prompted them to send or re-send it. Thanks again to all of the help I got from this site and the message boards. I did it all on my own and to think an attorney we used years ago to help us with this as part of an overall estate planning package wanted an additional $5000 from us to help us file the new paperwork for my mother. I told them thanks but no thanks ! Steve

Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

Yay! Happy to hear that, Steve. And I'm so glad you didn't decide to take the attorney's help with this application. Your story is an important one to share to prove that people can, in fact, apply for the A&A benefit themselves and get awarded.