Mileage deduction amounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Janie, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Janie

Janie Newbie

What is the amount per mile we can charge when taking my Mom to doctor (to be shown as a deduction of expenses).

thank you.

2. jpez

jpez Full Member

first, for application purposes your not going to be allowed mileage unless it is for a repeated and 12 monthly occurance. for example dialysis.
    second, 2010 irs medical mileage is 16 cents a mile, 2011 is 19 cents a mile.

next, to generate a true $20 deduction you would have to drive more than 100 miles. If you are driving why don't you just charge for CARE?

It is my experience that a typical Dr appointment for a senior in CARE is at least a 3 hour event for a caregiver. And most Dr. appointments are within 10-15 miles. That's $60 dollars of paid care.

I am assuming your mom is NOT in assisted living but living w/ someone or living alone. There are several posts on creating a care contract. It really is the most effective and effecient way to reduce the gross income to a level neccesary to maximize the monthly Death Pension w/Homebound or Aid&Attendance rating.
    As an added benefit, as a caregiver, the deduction for mileage for YOU is 50 cents in 2010 and 51 cents in 2011.

3. Janie

Janie Newbie

jpez,

Thank you.

Janie

4. jpez

jpez Full Member

you are welcome.
    Merry Christmas and Happy HoliDay.