mental interview

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by ellie29609, Jun 13, 2015.

1. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

My Mom was in the Army, released medically discharged because of epilepsy. She draws a pension, she never went to the clinic for care.
    Now she is 87 yrs old has alzheimer's, heart attacks and more ongoing problems, caring for her at our home.
    So I have applied for A & A, they want me to bring her on a two hour drive for an mental evaluation.
    She is not mentally up to a two hour car ride and told me if I don't bring her they will close application. I have filled out all the forms, had her pcp fill out paperwork, what else do they want from us? It is just my husband and I carrying for her. We know we can't go on like this, burning out.
    Should I have her drugged for this trip or just tell them to forget it??

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Her pcp should be able to complete the VA form 21-2680 Physician's Eval. Her diagnosis will automatically cause the VA to rule her mentally incompetent, so having her drive for 2+ hours is ridiculous for the purpose the this pension.

Get her pcp to complete the form and submit it.

3. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

They do have this form filled out by my mother's pcp and still want to interview her. I don't know what to do, I have to have to have her drugged for this trip. :'(

4. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

Va in Asheville called today with an appointment, was surprised it was for a Saturday. Mentioned my surprise, gentleman said that so many people were filing claims that they were backlogged and working Saturdays too. It wasn't so much what he said as how he said it, like we're an inconvenience.

5. vetadmin

Are you saying that they are making you take her to an appointment 2 hours away? Is your Mom in the VA medical system for care?

6. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

We were going to have to Columbia which is 2 hrs. Now we are reporting to Asheville hour and a half. If we don't go they are going to close her claim without any consideration. I have called her family doctor for meds to drug her for the trip up. I hate this!! The appointment is for 8 in the morning.We can't go the night before she freaks out in hotels. Mom has alzheimer's and I hate having to drug her. :'(

7. vetadmin

My bigger question is, is your Mom already in the VA system receiving "compensation" for service-connected injuries?

8. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

No, she has not been to a clinic in 30 yrs.
    We have an appointment with local clinic after the trip to Asheville. They want us there at 8 am for a 6 hour psychiatric evaluation for Alzheimer's.

9. vetadmin

This is RIDICULOUS!! I would be on the phone, and try and find out why she can't see her personal doctor, and why they would force someone who has to be medicated (drugged) to make this trip. I would also call her Senator today, and ask them to intervene on her behalf.

10. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

Thank you so very much! I just finished a letter to our senators. :)

11. vetadmin

Ellie,

You are welcome, but you should call the Senator's office to help expedite their assistance.

12. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

Thank you! I filed forms for my senator to look into this problem with the Va. Also, got her neurologist to do a mini version of the testing they were going to do. They gave me a copy to send to the Va. I have not heard from them as of yet.

13. vetadmin

Sure hope this can help in getting resolved.

14. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

Well we are supposed to be in Asheville at the clinic this Saturday. I am going to call and postpone it, hoping that all the letters that have been written work. They said if we did not come they were going to close the claim without consideration. Guess we will see............. :-\

15. vetadmin

Please let us know how it goes.

I personally would not hesitate for a second to ask local media to do a story on this outrageous request if they do close the claim.